JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Aftermarket light problem (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/aftermarket-light-problem-1719306/)

tbbucanrs 10-24-2013 03:38 PM

Aftermarket light problem

Here is my problem. I have two sets of lights that are not working. I have them both hooked thru two separate 4 pin relays to two separate 3 pin switches. The fused power wire from the battery goes to the 30 pin on the relay, the ground goes to 85, the light wire to the 87 and the switch wire to the 86. For some reason I am not getting any power thru the 86 (switch) wire. If I go straight from the battery positive to the switch (bypassing the switch wire) the lights work. I have tested the relay and fuses and they work. One set of lights didn't work last time I went out so I took it apart now both don't work. I am tearing my hair out because this is how I had it hooked up before and they worked.:confused:

Jonathanjr1 10-24-2013 03:45 PM

Pin 30 goes to the battery, pin 87is to the lights,pin 85 is to ground and pin 86 is to a positive switch source .
Pin 30 need the right sized fuse for the lights your powering and the switch needs a fuse where ever you get the power from.

tbbucanrs 10-24-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathanjr1 (Post 17122626)
Pin 30 goes to the battery, pin 87is to the lights,pin 85 is to ground and pin 86 is to a positive switch source .

You're right. That's how it's hooked up. Not working.

Jonathanjr1 10-24-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbbucanrs (Post 17122762)
You're right. That's how it's hooked up. Not working.

Is there power at the switch

tbbucanrs 10-25-2013 07:07 AM

No.

If I run a wire straight from the battery to the switch I get power and the lights and switch work but not from the relay. (86)

2jhanna 10-25-2013 08:27 AM

It sounds as if you have no switch power to pull in the relay.

One side of the switch should have power, even with switch in off position.

Both sides should have power with the switch in the on position.

tbbucanrs 10-25-2013 08:45 AM

Yes but why?

2jhanna 10-25-2013 09:04 AM

The switch controls the relay, the relay controls the lights.

If you are not getting power to and from the switch, then the relay is not going to energize to provide power to the lights.

XTRyan 10-25-2013 09:17 AM

Where did you pick up power for the line side of your switch? Is that wire only hot when the ignition is "ON"? Just a thought. Wiring gremlins can be a nightmare. Good Luck!

rrobbins 10-25-2013 09:25 AM

It does sound like the switch portion is hooked up incorrect. You need 12v to the switch. Then the other terminal of the switch will get wired to terminal 86 of the relay.

Check that you have 12v at the switch with the key in the appropriate position. Then check the other terminal on the switch. It should have 0v in off position and 12v in the on position.

If that checks out than check to make sure you are getting 12v at terminal 86 on the relay with the switch and key on.

A simple test light or multi meter and a simple diagram that you can look up online will help you a lot. Just trace the 12v from the source and follow all the way to the lights. Try looking up automotive relay wiring diagram and you will get a bunch of good info.

2jhanna 10-25-2013 09:31 AM

It is good practice and common for the power to the switch to be fused. This can be directly from the battery, the fuse block, or even a tap into another circuit (i.e. lighter socket). The current required for a switch to energize a relay is very small, so it could be using the same power as the lights to be driven or from a totally separate source.

Like many of us have said, trace back from the switch.

tbbucanrs 10-25-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XTRyan (Post 17142010)
Where did you pick up power for the line side of your switch? Is that wire only hot when the ignition is "ON"? Just a thought. Wiring gremlins can be a nightmare. Good Luck!

From the battery to pin 30 on the relay. Then pin 86 to the switch. Pin 87 to the lights

adkfinn 10-25-2013 10:25 AM

Compliments of Stu's website: http://www.stu-offroad.com/electrica...5/lights-1.htm

Compare your wiring to the second diagram down that gives the pin numbers.

tbbucanrs 10-25-2013 11:11 AM

Thanks guys. I got it. I forgot I had the lights wired to my fuse box. Had a connection break on one set, then as I was fixing it I must of blown the fuse. Better get checked for old-timers.

The time now is 06:03 PM.