Aftermarket Fuel Gauge after 4.3 swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Aftermarket Fuel Gauge after 4.3 swap

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 04-20-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
GoodtimeKenny

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Aftermarket Fuel Gauge after 4.3 swap

I did my 4.3 swap and everything is ready and running....but the fuel gauge. I am running Equus 8000 series gauges, the fuel gauge is for a Chysler sending unit. The gauge is supposed to read 10ohm full and 75ohm empty, problem is the chrysler sending unit is putting out over 200ohm. Has anyone done this swap and had issues hooking up a fuel gauge?

jeep-dash.jpg

GoodtimeKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2014, 07:12 PM   #2
ky-homelite
2004 TJ Wrangler 

No clue, but dang do those gauges look good!
ky-homelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #3
GoodtimeKenny

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks!
Unread 04-28-2014, 09:40 PM   #4
Ryanmccartney
Ok jeeper

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have had this issue I found a sending unit from auto wrecker and adapted to existing jeep fuel canister in tank

I did this and high pressure fuel pump when I installed the 5.7

If your gauge is programmable it makes this really easy

Hope this helps

Cheers
Rye
Unread 04-29-2014, 02:31 PM   #5
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The stock specs for the fuel sender are 20 ohms full, 220 ohms empty.

Other than getting a gauge to match those specs, in order to get the right sort of resistance for your gauge, you could try running a resistor in parallel with the fuel sender to lower the resistance.

A 110 ohm resistor would give give resistances of 17 full and 73 empty.
A 120 ohm resistor would give give resistances of 17 full and 78 empty.

Actual values would differ slightly due to resistance tolerances of the sender and parallel resistor. At 17 ohms you'd probably never see a full indication with a full tank, but you would get a pretty accurate indication of low fuel which is obviously more important. Either one should work pretty well for you.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2014, 04:04 PM   #6
GoodtimeKenny

1997 TJ Wrangler 

That's the kind of info i have been looking for! Thanks!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.