Aftermarket front sway bar with no rear sway bar - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Aftermarket front sway bar with no rear sway bar

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-25-2014, 01:19 PM   #1
iblameeric
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Aftermarket front sway bar with no rear sway bar

I have a 04 that is currently running the OEM sway bar with JKS disconnects up front and no sway bar in the rear (it's an X package so it would seem the previous owner removed it). The front sway bar and disconnects both have seen better days. Instead of spending the money on replacing the front components, I was looking at an aftermarket setup (anti rock or swayloc). My question/concern here would be: do I need to track down a rear OEM sway bar to use one these front aftermarket sway bars? This is a DD with daily highway and monthly off road use. The lack of a rear sway bar hasn't been all that noticeable, but I wasn't sure if the aftermarket setup required the rear. Any insight would be appreciated!

Thank you!

iblameeric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2014, 01:21 PM   #2
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

yes, you should get a rear swaybar whether you choose AR or oem for the front
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2014, 01:24 PM   #3
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

You do need a rear sway bar and links, for safety reasons. The front sway bars to not wear out, only the links. You can get a set fairly cheap depending on the amount of lift you have.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2014, 01:35 PM   #4
iblameeric
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
You do need a rear sway bar and links, for safety reasons. The front sway bars to not wear out, only the links. You can get a set fairly cheap depending on the amount of lift you have.
The bar itself isn't wore out, though it looks to be a little bent on the passenger side. If you center the sway bar on the frame, the end of the sway bar sits closer to the frame than other TJs I have compared it to. Nothing to serious. It just bothers me.
Unread 06-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #5
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Why would you even run w/o a rear? Do you think you will achieve better flex? You won't You'll just get WAY more sway which will cause a roll on the highway.... Get a stock rear with extended links depending on your lift. The front, I'm biased to the AR as that's what I have and its wonderful. I also have the stock rear with longer links and this is what my rear can do on 35's with 4" lift and 1" body lift.
brokenyoujoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2014, 02:04 PM   #6
NYGLT56
Your Local Body Builder
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I run it. Front SwayLoc and no rear. Im waiting on a JK stock rear sway bar so I can have the rear again. But truthfully, probably because of the way the jeep is setup, I feel no sway, steering is direct and no different than with a sway bar in the rear.

DSC09222 by armyalibaba, on Flickr
Unread 06-25-2014, 02:08 PM   #7
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenyoujoint View Post
Why would you even run w/o a rear? Do you think you will achieve better flex? You won't You'll just get WAY more sway which will cause a roll on the highway.... Get a stock rear with extended links depending on your lift. The front, I'm biased to the AR as that's what I have and its wonderful. I also have the stock rear with longer links and this is what my rear can do on 35's with 4" lift and 1" body lift.
Let's not be dramatic here. With a a stock front sway bar, on the road, you'll notice virtually no difference. Lets remember many TJs rolled out of the factory without a rear sway bar.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2014, 02:21 PM   #8
iblameeric
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenyoujoint View Post
As I stated, the rear sway bar looks to have been removed prior to me getting it. Why was it? I have no idea. It was only after replacing the shocks and springs that I noticed it wasn't there. As for noticeable roll? I am either used to it or it has been negligible. I don't usually hit my turns hard and hadn't had to dodge anything. So far the general consensus seems to be "locate a rear sway bar and get it installed", especially if I am going to go with an aftermarket setup.
Unread 06-25-2014, 02:27 PM   #9
iblameeric
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGLT56 View Post
I run it. Front SwayLoc and no rear. Im waiting on a JK stock rear sway bar so I can have the rear again. But truthfully, probably because of the way the jeep is setup, I feel no sway, steering is direct and no different than with a sway bar in the rear.

DSC09222 by armyalibaba, on Flickr
Thank you for the response! With hearing a few TJ's came off the line without a rear sway bar, I thought maybe someone has run an aftermarket setup in the front and nothing in the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
Let's not be dramatic here. With a a stock front sway bar, on the road, you'll notice virtually no difference. Lets remember many TJs rolled out of the factory without a rear sway bar.
That's what I have heard. Personally, I hadn't noticed any roll on the highway. I have been driving this for a few years now sans rear sway bar.
Unread 06-25-2014, 02:27 PM   #10
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iblameeric View Post
As I stated, the rear sway bar looks to have been removed prior to me getting it. Why was it? I have no idea. It was only after replacing the shocks and springs that I noticed it wasn't there. As for noticeable roll? I am either used to it or it has been negligible. I don't usually hit my turns hard and hadn't had to dodge anything. So far the general consensus seems to be "locate a rear sway bar and get it installed", especially if I am going to go with an aftermarket setup.
Yet !!!!
Unread 06-25-2014, 02:56 PM   #11
iblameeric
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
Yet !!!!
Haha Currie has a "bolt on" rear antirock (though you still have to weld on tabs). If I am going to put a rear sway bar in, I might as well go big right? From the responses here and what I have glanced at elsewhere, looks like I will be investing in sway bars all around.

Thanks for the responses guys!
Unread 06-25-2014, 03:01 PM   #12
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Haha Currie has a "bolt on" rear antirock (though you still have to weld on tabs). If I am going to put a rear sway bar in, I might as well go big right? From the responses here and what I have glanced at elsewhere, looks like I will be investing in sway bars all around.

Thanks for the responses guys!
If you got the $$$ why not.
Unread 06-25-2014, 03:26 PM   #13
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
How did those early model SE TJ's not roll over on every turn.
2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2014, 03:46 PM   #14
geroux
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Currie has a "bolt on" rear antirock (though you still have to weld on tabs).
Do your homework on that one. I know someone with a Currie rear antirock and I think that is why he had to relocate his shocks and rotate brake calipers to the front of the rotor. Not sure if you have drums.
geroux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2014, 03:57 PM   #15
iblameeric
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroux View Post
Do your homework on that one. I know someone with a Currie rear antirock and I think that is why he had to relocate his shocks and rotate brake calipers to the front of the rotor. Not sure if you have drums.
I was more so being facetious that anything on that post. I do have drum brakes. I have seen Currie's instructions on it and done a little bit of reading on their rear sway bar option. I find it funny it is listed as a bolt on application.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.