aftermarket cams in the 4.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > aftermarket cams in the 4.0

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 02-25-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
4.0l sahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

aftermarket cams in the 4.0

Well I was reading a few articles about cams for the 4.0 and they all said they worked well in the 4.0. I had thought about it before but never done any thing about it. For me the install of it is no prob. I was looking at the cams made for low end and read that this was a good cam for the 4.0
http://www.compperformancegroupstore...tegory_Code=A6
Will this pass emissions in ct? It's not that crazy of a cam so I don't know if it will. Anybody here run one of these and what do you think.

4.0l sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Were they by any chance selling cams?

I would think that if they worked well in the 4.0 lots of people would have them, instead of ...roughly.... no one?
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2008, 04:44 PM   #3
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2002 WJ 

JP magazine has a review this month of improvements for the 4.0 and cams were listed as their best bang for the buck.
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2008, 04:57 PM   #4
4.0l sahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thats where I read about them. In most engines cams can help alot. There also not that much $$
Unread 02-25-2008, 05:00 PM   #5
4.0l sahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Also if I had to Gauss why alot of people don't have them is because they don't know how or want to dig that far into a 4.0.
Unread 02-25-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
bigchevyman24
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0l sahara View Post
Also if I had to Gauss why alot of people don't have them is because they don't know how or want to dig that far into a 4.0.
I would guess that it's because the 4.0L is already a torque monster and is not a high hp engine. Most people would rather spend the money on gears and then the rest on lift/tires/armor/etc...

SOLD: 2000 WJ 2WD CONVERTED TO 4X4, 97 TJ ON 35'S, 95 XJ ON 33'S
bigchevyman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2008, 05:09 PM   #7
nitecop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

From the comp cam link all I got was this: (Online cam specs not available for this cam) when I went looking for the specs on the cam. What are they tring to hide?
Cams for computer controlled engine aren't really all that comlicated. If you keep the can small enough to get good vacume at idle then the computer for the most part will be happy.
Project f-Xj F150/XJ Ford eXtreme jeep combo
06 6 Speed LJ my daily driver.
Colorado Jeep club memeber #505
nitecop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2008, 05:22 PM   #8
4.0l sahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitecop View Post
From the comp cam link all I got was this: (Online cam specs not available for this cam) when I went looking for the specs on the cam. What are they tring to hide?
Cams for computer controlled engine aren't really all that comlicated. If you keep the can small enough to get good vacume at idle then the computer for the most part will be happy.
Thats the cam they used on the jp web site in the 4.0 I also couldn't get the specs I wanted to see what the lift/duration and overlap was.
Unread 02-25-2008, 05:35 PM   #9
skyjacked94xj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Someone buy one and install it, then tell me what happens... I always wanted to know...

CLASSIC TOY
1968 Chevy C-10 short bed
Chevy 350 crate motor | 4-speed | fully restored | Lowered | 20" Centerline Daggers.. wayyy too much to list

Project
1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
350 TPI | WS6 | 48k original miles | Flame Red Metallic

SOLD: 94 cherokee | Lifted | Locked
SOLD: 97 TJ | 33's | 4.56's | :(

Searching for an Ls-1 Rx-7 project....
skyjacked94xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2008, 06:32 PM   #10
ToyTJ
2008 WK 

would guess that it's because the 4.0L is already a torque monster and is not a high hp engine. Most people would rather spend the money on gears and then the rest on lift/tires/armor/etc...

"Torque monster"?? I don't think so at 220 foot pounds. It won't spin 33's worth a darn. Even a little 318 Dodge V8 will make a 100 more fp's at only
235hp or thereabouts.
'08 WK Limited, 5.7 Hemi, Black, MyGig NAV, DVD, Roof, Tow, 18" chromes, Tint, Addco sway bars, KYB gas shocks/struts, Hemi Club #66
ToyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2008, 06:49 PM   #11
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whybu1 View Post
JP magazine has a review this month of improvements for the 4.0 and cams were listed as their best bang for the buck.
Read further into that issue and you'll find that they had lobes go flat on the very upgrade they recommend! The engine they tested took a crap on them twice and they just had the original put back in the XJ.
The engine upgrade article in the April issue is the biggest source of contradiction I've ever seen.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2008, 06:58 PM   #12
4.0l sahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I did read that the comp and crane cams had some probs. Most of there cams are good too. Do they nor harden them alot or somthing? What other cams are out there. I wonder if comp and crane will correct these probs?
Unread 02-25-2008, 07:14 PM   #13
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0l sahara View Post
I did read that the comp and crane cams had some probs. Most of there cams are good too. Do they nor harden them alot or somthing? What other cams are out there. I wonder if comp and crane will correct these probs?
The new SM rated motor oils are helping matters with older cam designs either.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2008, 07:40 PM   #14
4.0l sahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Why is that? What did they remove or add?
Unread 02-25-2008, 10:01 PM   #15
04WranglerX
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyTJ View Post
would guess that it's because the 4.0L is already a torque monster and is not a high hp engine. Most people would rather spend the money on gears and then the rest on lift/tires/armor/etc...

"Torque monster"?? I don't think so at 220 foot pounds. It won't spin 33's worth a darn. Even a little 318 Dodge V8 will make a 100 more fp's at only
235hp or thereabouts.

Speak for yourself, I have no problem spinning my 35's on dry pavement posi.
35" Yokohama Geolanders on black rock krawlers
Dana 44 rear, ARB air locker, cromo shafts, Dana 30 front, 4.88's front and rear.
04WranglerX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.