Aev - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Aev

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 01-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
Amerj
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Aev

For those of you with th AEV 3" lift springs how much actual lift did the give you. Also how did you like them.

Amerj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
Elwood
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Not sure about "Actual lift", but I love them. If they charged $500 per spring, I would pony up the coin for them.
Unread 01-19-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
Amerj
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Elwood can you post pictures of your jeep your build is almost exactly like what I'm gonna do. Are you happy with how it turned out.

Did did you use for trackbars?

Would you do anything differently ?
Unread 01-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #4
Elwood
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I am thrilled with how it turned out. The ride and drive is excellent. I am still not quite sure on the shock choice, but I am going to give it time before I make any changes. I had the AEV springs on my TJ and love them, that is why I went with them again. I tow and haul quite a bit with my Jeep and they handle load very well. I used Currie track bars. Actually all hard parts are Currie. I called Gerold at Savvy and he fixed me up with what I wanted. My TJ had a long arm system on it and the on road ride and handling with the LJ is just as good. This Jeep won't go to Badlands like my TJ did, so flex is not quite as important, but from what I have read, the Currie system should flex very well. Time will tell. Like I said, so far, I am very pleased.

I don't have any off road pics., as I haven't had it off road yet, so driveway pics. is all I have.

Unread 01-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Elwood, Jeep looks great That is almost the exact lift I am looking at for my LJ Rubicon also. Why do you say that you aren't sure on the shock choice?
srfnfly227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 08:54 PM   #6
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Elwood, your not sure about the rancho's and im not sure about the bilsteins. Mine rides rougher over pavement mismatches than i think it should.

What are your complaints with the shocks?

Since we have the same suspension parts minus the springs and shocks. we are even using the same hole on the antirock

Want to STOP?

Edited
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2011, 12:38 AM   #7
Amerj
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Elwood great lookin jeep. I think I will go with the AEV springs. They seem like they will do what I need. Did you get the from Savvy or AEV directly. ???
Unread 01-20-2011, 04:46 AM   #8
QUIKSILVERZ
2012 JK Wrangler 

i am going with the AEV springs also. I think i am going to combine them with some OME shocks, 2" bumpstops (frt and rear), OME rear track bar bracket and a adj front track bar.
QUIKSILVERZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #9
rmeredit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Elwood - What model number shocks did you go with? How about bump stops & length?
rmeredit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2011, 03:02 PM   #10
AppFan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm running AEVs on mine (white one on right) and couldn't be happier. If you still need it I can measure center of hub to the flare when I get home tonight.
Unread 01-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #11
Elwood
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Why do you say that you aren't sure on the shock choice?
Keep in mind, I have not had the opportunity to take my Jeep off road yet. My comments and thoughts are based only on "road" driving. Highways and tar and chipped country roads. Here in Illinois, roads are crap, so a decent road ride is important to me.

I am running them on the softest setting and for my tastes, they are a bit rough on road. They have settings from 1 to 9. 9 is nearly solid, like there is no suspension what so ever. 1 is not bad, but I was expecting a bit softer. I had these springs on my TJ. I put a Rock Krawler long arm suspension on with the same AEV springs. Bilstein 5100 shocks. The ride was comparable to my setting of 1 with the ranchos. I was hoping for a bit softer ride for when I wanted it. The bilsteins were a bit firm at times, that is why I didn't go with them this time. This Jeep is my daily driver and I want a very nice ride. (I know, it is a Jeep, but I am getting older!!)

I do like the adjustablity though, I tow and haul some. The springs handle load very well. I am not sure of the shock model number, the Jeep is covered in snow/slush at the moment.

Lumpster, I was originally thinking of trying the OME shocks, but went with the Ranchos because of adjustability. Do you know anyone with OME shocks? Some say they are too soft, but I don't know anyone who has them that I can ride with to see

The Bumpstops are Currie and from the Currie system sold at Savvy Off Road. The springs came directly from AEV.
Unread 01-20-2011, 04:52 PM   #12
TheDragonfly
2001 TJ Wrangler 

With stock bumper and on stock tire carrier with 33 on back, and rear seat they gave 4" of lift. Now my springs are giving actual 3.25" of lift with the addition of 155lb tire carrier and hilift jack, but rear seat removed. The front is still giving 4" with 75lb front bumper.
TheDragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #13
AZJeepNewbie
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've got the same setup as Elwood. I've got several thousand miles on it now, most of which is off-road. I must say it's working very, very well. Check out my build thread in my signature below if you want to see how a newbie handled the install. I've got the XL9000 shocks, and I like 'em. I'm not sure about how much the adjustments really do, although I've taken some heat in this forum before for that viewpoint. The actual amount of lift was strange on my install. I got something like 4" in the front and 1.75" in the rear. I'm pretty sure that's because my front-end was pretty sagged out due to my winch installation. The Jeep appears to be sitting perfectly level now, so I can't knock it. It clears my 255/85/16 tires perfectly, which are true 33" tires. So I'm glad I didn't go any higher. This is not a rock-crawler build to be sure. But it is a really good expedition build, good for the highway, and good for medium difficulty off-road conditions. It handles rough cobblestone rock conditions better than I would have believed. The suspension flexes like a dream and it just floats over the rough stuff. I didn't get the improvement I was hoping for on washboard roads though. My strategy there is to put the pedal to the metal and take them at 50+ MPH. That really smooths out the washboard. I would definitely do this build again if I had the same usage in mind.

"Confidence is that feeling you have before you fully understand the situation."
AZJeepNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2011, 07:25 PM   #14
klaykrusher
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I switched from 3" BDS springs to 3" AEV's and it's been like night and day. The LJ is heavy enough, add a hard top, camping gear, extra gas, water, etc. and these AEV's just soak it up. For me they ride fine on pavement, still using my BDS shocks, but they make the off road ride so much better. BDS use to bottom out all the time, that's a thing of the past now. Highly recommended. I'm not sure on actual lift either, but I have a Daystar 1" BL and no problems with the 33's I run.

Unread 01-21-2011, 06:49 AM   #15
Elwood
2006 LJ Wrangler 

AZJeep, I read your build thread several times before I decided on what I was going to do. All I knew was I was going to run AEV springs again, but was almost dead set on Rock Krawler because of how pleased I was with it before.

Tags
lift , springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.