AEM Intake observations - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AEM Intake observations

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 11-15-2007, 08:47 PM   #1
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

AEM Intake observations

Today I yanked my AEM intake tube & filter off and replaced it with the stock intake.

WHY?
After off-roading with it for one season, I've had to clean the filter twice....the dust clogs it up very quickly. Once clogged, the intake makes weird noises that sound "groaning", and it idles high. I also found the entire inside of the throttle body below and all around the blade was black with a thick oily carbon buildup. I think this is a result of the oil on the AEM filter. The inside of the tube was also lined with a very fine layer of dust. The fender would also pack thick with dirt, I even tried lining rubber under the filter and boxing it in. Rubber did keep mud and water from wheeling off the filter, but I still got dirt and dust caked on the rubber.

So far, with a FRAM paper filter, the engine is more quiet (no more whistle), and the groan is gone. I also sprayed a throttle body cleaner in the TB pretty liberally, cleaning out the idle pass thru and the blade and below. Idles much smoother and throttles more smoothly.

I may experiment with another stock intake if I can get one cheap, and cut the box apart and make a high flow tube out of the AEM tube & the stock filter box.

Update: The TB spacer did nothing. I noticed no difference in power and colder intake temps with the stock intake.

Last edited by Unlimited04; 11-15-2007 at 08:58 PM..
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2007, 08:56 PM   #2
chappy84
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I found oily residue in my stock tb when I replaced with 62mm tb and spacer and that was after running stock box and paper filter. maybe oil was in there from assembly? either way i am aiming my sights towards a Volent air intake due to the fact that they use an inclosed air box and a snorkel can be added at a later date.
Power gains are noticable from bigger tb and spacer, not too much but it helped a lot with throttle control and low end torque.
Please note that your intake under tb is only 60mm so in order to get full benfit from your set-up you may want to port the intake. this is My opinion however you may want to ask around.
Unread 11-15-2007, 09:05 PM   #3
jeeptillidie
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I was forced to mod my air intake when I did my tube fenders (cone filter over a hacksawed intake pipe. I dont have a sock over the filter yet but I am going to get one soon. I suggest that to anyone to help aid cleaning and eliminating some of the dust. Its not a perfect solution but Im in a situation now where I have no choice.
jeeptillidie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2007, 09:14 PM   #4
MontyTJ02
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy84
I found oily residue in my stock tb when I replaced with 62mm tb and spacer and that was after running stock box and paper filter. maybe oil was in there from assembly? either way i am aiming my sights towards a Volent air intake due to the fact that they use an inclosed air box and a snorkel can be added at a later date.
Power gains are noticable from bigger tb and spacer, not too much but it helped a lot with throttle control and low end torque.
Please note that your intake under tb is only 60mm so in order to get full benfit from your set-up you may want to port the intake. this is My opinion however you may want to ask around.
the only gains that I noticed with my TB spacer and intake were measured with my trusty butt dyno. I maybe gained a few MPG more but I havent noticed when I go to fill up. The factory intake is very unrestricting to start with. To compete with the dust I would put the factory intake back on...use a K&N filter for the element. But I would get one of thier smaller pre-filters and attach it to the trumpet on the front of the airbox.
FireFighter's Jeep Club #84

I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Im getting tired of thinking...guess I'll do some wishful drinking.
MontyTJ02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2007, 09:21 PM   #5
chappy84
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Guys, a pre- filter is a trumped up version of pany hose!! haha.
I use a new pair of (cut to fit) pantyhose to cover my dirt bike K&N when I go to the sand dunes, works great and it is way way cheaper.
Just be prepared to get weird looks from wal-mart check out girl or send wife if so equipt. hahahaha
Unread 11-15-2007, 11:08 PM   #6
Deezul
2004 TJ Wrangler 

OIL on an AEM? What did you do? All the new AEMS have no oil. Havent had to clean it in over a year. Also run an outerwears pre-filter. Sounds like you had a crappy old style one
2004 Khaki Rubicon. Jeeperman Custom Brushguard and 54" bumper, Kilby steering skid, Skidrow radiator skid, SRC Rockcrawler rocker guards, UFW Al Engine Skid, OME Shocks, JKS Quicker Discos, AEM Dryflo intake;KC Slimlight 130W Long range lights, ORO LiteDots and LitePlate, Banks Stainless Monster cat-back, Eclipse stereo, BA Speakers, Jeeperman Handles, Cobra CB, interior leds... more to come.

**R.I.P NOW TOTALED** 98TJ Sport, 30x9.5 BFG ATKO's on AR Outlaw II's, K&N FIPK, Borla Catback,
Green jeep club member #139
Deezul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2007, 06:06 AM   #7
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul
OIL on an AEM? What did you do? All the new AEMS have no oil. Havent had to clean it in over a year. Also run an outerwears pre-filter. Sounds like you had a crappy old style one
That's what I was thinking.Oil an AEM?
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2007, 06:32 AM   #8
shadowrider1946
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Pulled my AEM couple of months ago, stock intake is much quieter and I think the mid range torque is improved. I know the engine response is better and the intake system is clean!!!!
shadowrider1946 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2007, 06:44 AM   #9
00jeepred
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with the rest. Oil on an AEM? when did you buy this cause you got jacked. If you want a better filter buy the dry flow filter it works much better and doesn't get clogged as much.

I wave.
00jeepred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2007, 06:53 AM   #10
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00jeepred
I agree with the rest. Oil on an AEM? when did you buy this cause you got jacked. If you want a better filter buy the dry flow filter it works much better and doesn't get clogged as much.
I've had the intake on for almost 3 years. Installed before the first filter change was needed...so around 4k miles i'm guessing. I'm at 36k now. I have the older style oiled filter. I found small sticks, particles of leaves, lint, rocks, and large particulates stuck to the filter the first time I cleaned it...I filled my kitchen sink with black residue.

doesn't get clogged as much? I don't see how it could NOT get clogged. I've had several millimeters of dirt caked inside the fender well, right below the filter. It sucks all that dust and dirt into the filter when I'm off roading. The stock intake has the air inlet tucked up against the hood (better for water crossings, think mini-snorkel) and while the bottom of the stock box may get dirty, the inside stays nice and dry. After seeing how dirty the inside of the engine compartment gets, I don't see how you would want a wide open element inhaling from the middle of the storm.
Unread 11-16-2007, 10:14 AM   #11
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00jeepred
I agree with the rest. Oil on an AEM? when did you buy this cause you got jacked.
Didn't the older versions use the K&N air filter which need to be oiled?

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2007, 10:17 AM   #12
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04
I don't know if I will notice a performance change or not....but I've got a 63mm TB & spacer I'm going to install soon...I definitely expect to see a change with that, especially at the higher end.
Don't bother with the TB spacer, they don't do a thing when under the type of throttle body used on a TJ where nothing but air passes through it. Spacers really help under carburetors and under the old style throttle-body injection systems but not so under current throttle bodies. Fuel is injected well below the TJ's throttle body, so (again) there's nothing but air passing through the TB.

I'm not even certain I felt any difference when I installed my 63mm TB.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2007, 02:08 PM   #13
HipCheck_1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04
I also found the entire inside of the throttle body below and all around the blade was black with a thick oily carbon buildup.
Doesn't the Engine recirculate some of the exhaust gases to reduce emissions? This would introduce the nasty, oily, carbon filled residue you are referring to.
HipCheck_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2007, 06:55 PM   #14
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Don't bother with the TB spacer, they don't do a thing when under the type of throttle body used on a TJ where nothing but air passes through it. Spacers really help under carburetors and under the old style throttle-body injection systems but not so under current throttle bodies. Fuel is injected well below the TJ's throttle body, so (again) there's nothing but air passing through the TB.

I'm not even certain I felt any difference when I installed my 63mm TB.
Yea I know the fuel is injected into the combustion chamber directly, I was just hoping the extra length would generate more vacuum in the intake manifold...but maybe i'm just *hoping*.

and for the second time...I HAD AN OLDER STYLE AEM INTAKE..WHICH NEEDED OIL.
Unread 04-21-2008, 10:58 AM   #15
claytonandson
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

never had any problems w/ my AEM and i like them because you dont have to oil them. you can get a dust sock for them if you need also. i used the TBS because it comes with the kit. not sure of any benefit. i kinda got used to the diesel whistle noise after 3 years.
yellow jeep club #343
IAFF /FF's OF WASH. D.C. EMERALD SOCIETY/CHARLES COUNTY RESCUE SQUAD 51
claytonandson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.