Advice on RCD Suspension 3" Lift Kit with Bilstein Shocks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Advice on RCD Suspension 3" Lift Kit with Bilstein Shocks

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-20-2010, 06:39 AM   #1
stevefarling

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Advice on RCD Suspension 3" Lift Kit with Bilstein Shocks

From Quadratec.
What do you think of this kit?
RCD Suspension 3" Lift Kit with Bilstein Shocks for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec

stevefarling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
sluggermyers
2000 TJ Wrangler 

yeah i'm wondering the same thing
sluggermyers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
paydirtdave
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just installed the RCD 4" lift and all went good, the directions where a bit confusing at times. The parts packaging was neat and user friendly. The control arms, sway bar links and rear track bar relocation bracket are textured powder coated. I was able to do coil spring installation without spring compressors. I do have a drive line vibration that I am deciding on how to deal with and have not yet dropped my transfer case. If anyone can tell me how to post pictures without being a full subscriber I would be happy to. I am a backyard mechanic and new to the lifted jeep craze but would be happy to answer any questions about my RCD 4" installation.
paydirtdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paydirtdave View Post
Just installed the RCD 4" lift and all went good, the directions where a bit confusing at times. The parts packaging was neat and user friendly. The control arms, sway bar links and rear track bar relocation bracket are textured powder coated. I was able to do coil spring installation without spring compressors. I do have a drive line vibration that I am deciding on how to deal with and have not yet dropped my transfer case. If anyone can tell me how to post pictures without being a full subscriber I would be happy to. I am a backyard mechanic and new to the lifted jeep craze but would be happy to answer any questions about my RCD 4" installation.
Once you get to about 25 posts you'll be able to post pictures. Keeps the spammers at bay as they can't spread there BS the day they sign up.

Glockster's Rubihara Build
glockster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2010, 12:51 PM   #5
stevefarling

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks paydirtdave! Tell me, other than the vibration, how's the ride? Also what size, and brand tires are you running? I haven't decided on a 3" or 4" kit yet, but either way I won't be doing it till spring. It just looks like a quality kit to me. Did you make any other changes or add ons with this install?
Unread 07-31-2010, 03:40 PM   #6
paydirtdave
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I went with the RCD 4" kit because the 3" kit is or was on back order---easy enough. The ride is stiff and crisp, smooth on the road and very ridged on the back roads. My vibration came at about 45-mph so over all little driving has been done. Front of jeep sits a bit higher than the back but should level off. I am running Goodyear MTR 245/75/16 but will be getting 33" and keeping the stock Moabs once I take care of vibration, alinement and re-torque everything.

No other add ons other than cosmetic but (The Dog Must Eat)

The only thing I might have done differently would have been to get a $3000.00 long arm kit and about 10 grand in other goodies and go real BIG but I went with what fits my budget and lifestyle.

I will post more about my experience with the RCD 4" lift as I put Rubber to Road
Unread 08-04-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
stevefarling

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Cool! Thanks Dave!
Unread 08-05-2010, 11:15 AM   #8
paydirtdave
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ok I have learned a bit over the last few days and wanted to share it with you all. First off I am new to the lifted jeep craze and am by no means a expert. With that being said the budget lift kits are a bit deceiving. I went with the 4" RCD lift, so I don't know if this holds true for smaller lift kits. The directions and advertisement are a bit misleading, leaving the jeep owned feeling all he or she need to do is install the kit have the jeep alined and run your larger tires. Not the case for me and my RCD 4" kit. As it turns out I am now into it another $1130.00 on top of the cost of the kit. After talking with some real nice people on this forum we put together a list of my options that would cure my new drive line vibration caused by the lift. What I have bought aside from the RCD kit is a Tom Wood's double cardan drive shaft $330.00 and a set of Curries upper and lower front and rear adjustable control arms $800.00 This will allow me to run my transfer case at the stock hight and be able to adjust my caster and pinion angle. There are other ways to fix the drive line issues by using just upper control arms and or motor mount lift's along with transfer case lowering spacers. I decided to ask the advice of others and spend the cash and do it right from this point forward. If I could do it again I would find a complete non budget kit and figure on spending a bit more. I would like to thank all who have supplied me with sound advice and have walked me through the steps needed to get things right.

Thanks All

Last edited by paydirtdave; 08-05-2010 at 10:55 PM..
Unread 07-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #9
marker

4' rcd

I'm looking at putting the same lift on my Rubicon. Did you need extended brake lines or anything else for the lift. I know I need the double cardan shaft, but other than that and adjustable rear uppers, do I need anything else? I am also trying to decide if I should do the 3" RCD and a 1" body lift that might spare me from needing the drive shaft. I am very new to the whole lift thing so I am very confused. I get conflicting stories from people and the online chat guy on Quadratec was not very helpful at all. Thanks for any advice. I got told by the quadratec guy that I would need extended brake lines, but never hear anyone else saying they used them.
marker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #10
GOLD1999TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I just recently installed the 3" RCD Suspension and it was well worth it. The ride Quality is excellant and the handling with my coopers was good. The 2 extra items i purchased as well as the lift was the JKS adjustiable track bar, an OME steering stabilizer, and a 37 tooth speedo gear (if you run larger tires, a 37 tooth is good for 31 and 32 inch tall tires). the install was fairly easy, my father helped me with mine and you will need a few extra things. i recomend a second pair of hands, coil spring compressers, a good torque wrench, and a haynes jeep repair and maintinance manual. all in all it is an excllant lift. you will not need extended brake lines.
GOLD1999TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
RCD , suspension , kit , bilstein , lift , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.