advice on Electric fan and Radiator v6 4l 2005 unlimited - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > advice on Electric fan and Radiator v6 4l 2005 unlimited

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 06-26-2007, 11:02 AM   #1
pigphish
2005 TJ Wrangler 

advice on Electric fan and Radiator v6 4l 2005 unlimited

I have a 2005 wrangler unlimited. The stock fan was replaced with an electric fan that is no longer any good and overheated the car.

Have 3 questions:
1. What is a good place to buy a replacement electric fan? online? otherwise?
2. The radiator seems to be leaking. I believe what ever was on the drain valve popped off. Can this be replaced or do i need a new radiator?
3. Are aluminum radiators worth the money?

thanks, george

pigphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2007, 11:47 AM   #2
mrsnicks

Summitracing.com sells fan.. electric. Good brands from my personal experience are spal and zirgo (a bit more expensive).

Patrick
mrsnicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2007, 12:07 PM   #3
bairy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

so a search for electric fans.

I would repair/replace the radiator, and find a new mechanical fan to install.

BTW. Your engine is an inline 6, not a V6
bairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2007, 12:24 PM   #4
pigphish
2005 TJ Wrangler 

why do you recommend mechanical? have you had issues with electrical replacements?
Unread 06-26-2007, 12:35 PM   #5
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

most ppl prefer the mechinical fan due to the prob you had, they usally dont push enough air to cool the motor properly, as for rad, can you get us a pic? if you do need a new one radiatorbarn.com 2 row all metal is the best and cheapest

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2007, 12:54 PM   #6
Envygreen

don't fall for the hype, throw a taurus 2 speed fan in from a 3.8 v6. Pulls more air then you need, ebay it, 45.00 or so done deal!
Envygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2007, 02:46 PM   #7
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnemovr
most ppl prefer the mechinical fan due to the prob you had, they usally dont push enough air to cool the motor properly, as for rad, can you get us a pic? if you do need a new one radiatorbarn.com 2 row all metal is the best and cheapest
I agree on all of that. I wheel in very (!) hot conditions in the desert and I'll never convert to an electric fan. Those I have seen that converted to electric fans have trouble in the desert keeping their Jeeps cool enough. The only reason I would convert to an electric fan is if I regularly drove my TJ in deep water and needed to turn the fan off while in the water.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2007, 05:38 PM   #8
HVACman
Mmmmmm.... Milk!

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
I agree on all of that. I wheel in very (!) hot conditions in the desert and I'll never convert to an electric fan. Those I have seen that converted to electric fans have trouble in the desert keeping their Jeeps cool enough. The only reason I would convert to an electric fan is if I regularly drove my TJ in deep water and needed to turn the fan off while in the water.

So Jerry, I've been wondering for a long time how many cfm does the stock fan move? I couldn't find the information. I'm one who converted to an electric flexalite Wrangler II (and a stroker) and could not keep the engine cool - until I installed an aluminum radiator.

I'm actually considering going back to the mechanical setup. Do you also know if there are aftermarket fan blades available that will move more air than a stock fan? I've seen some of the high performance fans on the Summit or Jegs website - blades with the flexable edges - but I would still like to know that the stock CFM is so I have a basis for comparison.

A beaver without a pelt is like a peacock without feathers.

Memberships: California Association Of 4WD Clubs - Friends Of The Rubicon - The Blue Ribbon Coalition

K6CKR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape
How many times have we told you . DON"T DUMP THE BODIES CLOSE TO YOUR HOME!!
HVACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2007, 06:06 PM   #9
BEANS

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have been running an elect. fan from a Volvo for the past 2 years.
I have never had trouble! I run a Delta fan control and have no problems with that.
Most of the time on 93 deg days (today) the eng. temp gets to 216 degs, the fan kicks on and the temp drops to 212-210. The fan never runs in the winter. I run a digital temp gauge that I can watch. In the winter I do plowing, my biggest problem was high transmission temps. I solved that with a fan aspirated trans. cooler. You would be surprised how hot your trans. gets! (got a temp gauge on that too.)
JSK QUICK DISCONNECTS THAT I'LL NEVER DISCONNECT
LIMITED SLIP WITH 4.11'S FRONT AND BACK
S.Y.E
7'6" SNOWAY POLY PLOW
Elect Radiator fan on a Delta control
Borla Header, Catback Exhaust By Volant 304SS
BEANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2007, 06:23 PM   #10
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

my Jeep overheated yesterday while sitting still for about a half hour with the A/C running. i fell asleep waiting for somebody, when I woke up, temp was almost in the red and it was idling like crap. it was 104 out...

i'd stick with an electric fan, put an off/auto/on switch in there, and a good temp control unit to kick it on when A/C is going, and for 190+ temp range, off for water crossings. I'm going to switch to electric after this overheating issue...

Last edited by Unlimited04; 06-26-2007 at 06:36 PM..
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2007, 08:58 AM   #11
pigphish
2005 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for the advice on fans. I was using an electric for about 1 year before the high speed wiring went which caused my overheat. Does anyone have any wiring diagrams on setting up an electric fan with a switch and engine start?

Back on to the radiator im attaching a pic of the drain cock that seemed to blow out from my radiator. Has anyone ever heard of an overheat causing this? i have to hope it was damaged somehow and it gave way. It popped right as i was turning off the engine.

here are pics...

I am thinking of replacing my radiator cap as well as it is supposed to release pressure first.

Either way i'm thinking about replacing? any thoughts on that?
Unread 06-27-2007, 09:10 PM   #12
ramsdell_
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If you want a new radiator I got mine from here.

http://www.extremeradiator.com/store...x?sku=1682-3HD

I also got the Flex-a-lite from quadratec at the same time. Just cost a lot.

So far I have not had a problem with cooling. Only drove short distance in 90+ deg whether but i think it will be fine.

It is not the living, but the quality of life.
ramsdell_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.