adjusting track bar - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > adjusting track bar

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 09-23-2008, 07:24 AM   #1
Conti31
1997 XJ Cherokee 

adjusting track bar

I have 3 rusty coils in the front with a 1.75 in spacer. Im ordering an adjustable track bar from rustys also and was looking for any tips on installation and adjustment settings. thanks in advance

Conti31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2008, 07:48 AM   #2
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Install it with the wheels on the ground.

1. Unbolt the old track bar.
2. Drive the Jeep back and forth 20 feet or so a few times. Turn the wheel back and forth a little bit while doing this.
3. Park the Jeep with the tires pointing straight forward.
4. Bounce the suspension a few times.
5. Measure the tires and confirm the axle is centered. It should have pretty much self-centered itself.
6. If the axle is not centered, turn the steering wheel a little and watch how the body shifts over the axle. Estimate how much shift you need to get the axle centered and leave the steering wheel there.
7. Hold the new track bar up to the mounting points and adjust it to that length.
8. Bolt in the track bar.
9. Measure and confirm you have the axle centered. Remember that if you need to adjust for it being off, shorten or lengthen the trackbar about 1/2 the amount it is off since it adds to one side and takes away from the other at the same time. Use the method above (turning steering wheel) to move the body over the axle after you adjust the trackbar. Turn the wheel until the holes line back up so you can bolt it up.
10. Adjust drag link to recenter steering wheel.

The mistake most people make is trying to move the axle under the Jeep. Its much easier to move the body of the Jeep over the axle. If you have a helper, you can even have them just push on the side of the body rather than using the steering wheel to move it.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2008, 09:33 AM   #3
Conti31
1997 XJ Cherokee 

thanks bro
Conti31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2009, 01:55 AM   #4
robcabico
2003 TJ Wrangler 

These are the best instructions yet. Thanks!
robcabico is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2009, 02:00 AM   #5
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

5/8" longer than stock is a good starting point.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2009, 02:53 AM   #6
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Install it with the wheels on the ground.

1. Unbolt the old track bar.
2. Drive the Jeep back and forth 20 feet or so a few times. Turn the wheel back and forth a little bit while doing this.
3. Park the Jeep with the tires pointing straight forward.
4. Bounce the suspension a few times.
5. Measure the tires and confirm the axle is centered. It should have pretty much self-centered itself.
6. If the axle is not centered, turn the steering wheel a little and watch how the body shifts over the axle. Estimate how much shift you need to get the axle centered and leave the steering wheel there.
7. Hold the new track bar up to the mounting points and adjust it to that length.
8. Bolt in the track bar.
9. Measure and confirm you have the axle centered. Remember that if you need to adjust for it being off, shorten or lengthen the trackbar about 1/2 the amount it is off since it adds to one side and takes away from the other at the same time. Use the method above (turning steering wheel) to move the body over the axle after you adjust the trackbar. Turn the wheel until the holes line back up so you can bolt it up.
10. Adjust drag link to recenter steering wheel.

The mistake most people make is trying to move the axle under the Jeep. Its much easier to move the body of the Jeep over the axle. If you have a helper, you can even have them just push on the side of the body rather than using the steering wheel to move it.
Between you and Jerry B.I don't think anyone else's opinion's are needed.You guy's have the facts.
P.S. I could have used advise from both of you guys before I did the deed on my entire shoulder to arm tatt.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 09:57 PM   #7
autoposer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hello all, I recently put an adjustable JKS trackbar on my 2000 XJ with a 3.5" lift. I thought I did everything correctly, but when I was finished my steering wheel was ~90 degrees out of phase with the wheels pointing straight. This surprised me. Did I screw something up or is this expected? I did have to ratchet the chassis over a good 2" to get it centered over the axle.
autoposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 01:19 AM   #8
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoposer View Post
Hello all, I recently put an adjustable JKS trackbar on my 2000 XJ with a 3.5" lift. I thought I did everything correctly, but when I was finished my steering wheel was ~90 degrees out of phase with the wheels pointing straight. This surprised me. Did I screw something up or is this expected? I did have to ratchet the chassis over a good 2" to get it centered over the axle.
Just adjust your drag link. Unscrew the 2 nuts on there and rotate the sleeve until the wheel is straight.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 01:26 AM   #9
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoposer View Post
Besides the fact that this thread is old and you're in the wrong forum, oh well. Your steering wheel is not the only thing off. The entire reason it's off is because your toe is off as well. Reset toe, center steering wheel, be happy. And let this thread fall back into cyberspace.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 10:38 PM   #10
autoposer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Right, wrong forum. Damn I'm green... Thanks anyways, thats what I needed.
autoposer is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.