adjusting steering stops with washers....... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > adjusting steering stops with washers.......

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #16
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well...is it 2 degrees BFD?, or is it a handicap to the vehicle's capabilities?

SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #17
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Who says I was talking about a jeep specifically? Axles as in cars that have cv boots and cv joints. Your jeep/cars you do as you want, and I'll do it my way.

In either case I was not referring to climbing a rock wall and doing 3 point turns I think your narrowing this situation down to strictly a jeep.

But thanks for the info.
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
esad_b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #18
turtle05LJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Going to venture a guess that he was talking about Jeeps becuase the OP (and this forum) are about ... ready for it ... Jeeps
turtle05LJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #19
two_jeepz
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
You do not have to raise the Jeep to do this.

The steering stop bolts hit the inner C when at the end of the turning radius.

If you crank that bolt out (or add washers under it), the bolt will hit the inner C sooner than it did previously. So you will not be able to turn your steering wheel as far.

This pic from Jeep Steer Stop Adjustment should explain it well:

Attachment 136934
I did this today on my '99 TJ, and I discovered that my steering stop bolts did not have a welded nut at the bottom like in this picture. So, I ended up getting longer bolts at the store, along with a nut and wave-cut lock washer. In my case, the new bolts were M10-1.50 x 40mm, but the length will vary depending on how much clearance you need. My plan was to tighten the lower nut once I got the bolts threaded in to the right spot, but in my case I didn't really need to because the bolts were just the right length - I'm guessing that the hole is tapered at the bottom because eventually the bolt wouldn't go in any further.
photo-1-medium-.jpg   photo-2-medium-.jpg   photo-3-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by two_jeepz; 10-27-2013 at 01:22 PM..
two_jeepz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #20
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post
Let me try again buddy.

Steering stop prevents the steering wheel for making more turns which in turns prevents rubbing if you have 31's lets say. Put the steering stops in there stops the wheel from going any further to avoid the rubbing?

Regarding the full lock, I try to avoid cutting the steering wheel fully on my other vehicles. I find it puts a lot of strain on front end components, some cars you can hear stuff squelling and components just being pushed to the max.

Full lock is hard on axles, joints, bushings etc.. especially when it comes to an AWD vehicle like a subaru or another make.
Remind me to not buy any of these ****ty built cars that make apparently can't handle full lock.

Good chance what you actually hear from these vehicles is the pump going into bypass. That is assuming they are even hydraulic power assist, I know most modern cars now a days are going to electric power assist.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
steering , stop , adjust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.