adjusting steering stops with washers....... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > adjusting steering stops with washers.......

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 07-29-2010, 08:16 AM   #1
will21190
2004 TJ Wrangler 

adjusting steering stops with washers.......

im about to do this and I honestly do not know how just by placing a washer behind the bolt will prevent the rubbing....btw do i have to jack the jeep up when i do this.....i got 31x10.5 on 15x7 stock steelies

will21190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 08:38 AM   #2
Gymguyjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Placing the washers behind the bolt moves the end of the bold outward. This means that you will not be able to turn the wheels as far from lock to lock thus preventing them from rubbing a lower control arm or sway bar. Remember, you will be reducing your turning radius when you do this. I did this for about 6 months and did not like not being able to use the full capability of my Jeep when turning on tight trails or switchbacks, so I bought some wheel spacers.

1993 XJ Cherokee - 3" Lift, 31" tires
Previous Jeeps - 1981 CJ-5, 1985 CJ-7
Gymguyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You do not have to raise the Jeep to do this.

The steering stop bolts hit the inner C when at the end of the turning radius.

If you crank that bolt out (or add washers under it), the bolt will hit the inner C sooner than it did previously. So you will not be able to turn your steering wheel as far.

This pic from Jeep Steer Stop Adjustment should explain it well:

steer-stops00.jpg
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
vosevichs
2001 TJ Wrangler 

One washer will make a big difference. Try to find some thin washers.
Unread 07-29-2010, 09:13 AM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep Steer Stop Adjustment and there is no need to remove the wheels or jack up the Jeep do do this.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 12:57 AM   #6
domsmith

Re: adjusting steering stops with washers

I must say that it should be properly adjusted otherwise the system will not work properly. I too agree that by placing the bolts behind will lock it up.
Unread 07-13-2012, 01:49 AM   #7
wesboy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have 3 washers on each of my steering stops. Can't say I've noticed much reduction in forward turning circle to be honest.
However, full lock turning in reverse is definately affected.
wesboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #8
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Did this a couple of weeks ago. Placed 2 washers on mine, everything is fine, no idea what your talking about in reverse.

All this does is prevent the steering from doing a little bit more of a turn. No harm done. Also doing a FULL LOCK on cars is pretty hard on components.. I never do full locks on any of my vehicles, i'd rather back up a bit and do it again and do a 2 -3 point turn if i have to then do full lock to get in somewheres.
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
esad_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #9
MCDavis
2004 LJ Wrangler 

If the passenger side only is rubbing, do you need washers on both sides? I read somewhere that you put washers under the stop on the opposite wheel, not the rubbing wheel. Is this correct if you don't have to do both sides?
MCDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 08:32 AM   #10
mhopton
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Correct, opposite side. It will become clear when you look at it.
mhopton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 08:35 AM   #11
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDavis View Post
If the passenger side only is rubbing, do you need washers on both sides? I read somewhere that you put washers under the stop on the opposite wheel, not the rubbing wheel. Is this correct if you don't have to do both sides?
You could always try centering the axle.
Unread 07-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #12
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post

All this does is prevent the steering from doing a little bit more of a turn. No harm done. Also doing a FULL LOCK on cars is pretty hard on components.. I never do full locks on any of my vehicles, i'd rather back up a bit and do it again and do a 2 -3 point turn if i have to then do full lock to get in somewheres.
You are confusing me.
Unread 07-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #13
MCDavis
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
You could always try centering the axle.
I've only got a small 1.5" lift in the front. So far, I've found it's more trouble than it's worth to try and replace the trackbar. I'd prefer to center the axle, but honestly don't know how.
MCDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #14
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
You are confusing me.
Let me try again buddy.

Steering stop prevents the steering wheel for making more turns which in turns prevents rubbing if you have 31's lets say. Put the steering stops in there stops the wheel from going any further to avoid the rubbing?

Regarding the full lock, I try to avoid cutting the steering wheel fully on my other vehicles. I find it puts a lot of strain on front end components, some cars you can hear stuff squelling and components just being pushed to the max.

Full lock is hard on axles, joints, bushings etc.. especially when it comes to an AWD vehicle like a subaru or another make.
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
esad_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #15
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post
Let me try again buddy.

Steering stop prevents the steering wheel for making more turns which in turns prevents rubbing if you have 31's lets say. Put the steering stops in there stops the wheel from going any further to avoid the rubbing?
From full lock to less than full lock far enough to stop the squealing and strain is about 1/180th of a turn on the steering wheel or about 2 degrees. BFD.

I much prefer the higher performance of a rig on the trail that can get to full lock rather than a 3 point turn that won't let you hold the line. Handicapping your rig"s capabilities over some misguided attempt to protect something that doesn't need protecting is silly.

Besides all that, it's pretty easy to avoid all of this, when you hear it rubbing, turn it back until it stops, it's really not that hard to do.

Quote:
Regarding the full lock, I try to avoid cutting the steering wheel fully on my other vehicles. I find it puts a lot of strain on front end components, some cars you can hear stuff squelling and components just being pushed to the max.

Full lock is hard on axles, joints, bushings etc.. especially when it comes to an AWD vehicle like a subaru or another make.
How is it hard on axles? The worst that is going to happen is a bit of stress on the draglink and trackbar and that's nowhere near the forces you see when you put a 35" tire against a rock and try to turn.

Have you ever been offroad?

Tags
steering , stop , adjust

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.