Adjusting Pinion Angle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Adjusting Pinion Angle

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 10-10-2007, 04:09 PM   #1
TJ driver
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Adjusting Pinion Angle

After my 2 inch lift my pinion angle is off which caused vibes and I had to do a TC drop. Is there any way to adjust the stock control arms or modify thier brackets such as slot thier holes and put some adjustable limiter on the bolts so that they are adjustable? I wouldn't mind getting adjustable rear upper control arms if they were under $200.

Unread 10-10-2007, 04:18 PM   #2
triola
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ driver
After my 2 inch lift my pinion angle is off which caused vibes and I had to do a TC drop. Is there any way to adjust the stock control arms or modify thier brackets such as slot thier holes and put some adjustable limiter on the bolts so that they are adjustable? I wouldn't mind getting adjustable rear upper control arms if they were under $200.
Adjustable upper control arms are the only way to go IMO.
That was how I did it. However, I went with the Teraflex arms, back in 98. I would highly recommend you get any other brand, but not Teraflex.
Unread 10-10-2007, 04:18 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Your pinion angle isn't off enough to worry about with only a 2" lift. And the pinion angle is pretty fussy, don't mess with it unless you know what you are doing. Are you having vibes? If so, you can drop the t-case a half-inch or so, which reduces the angle at the driveshaft u-joint, to get rid of them.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2007, 10:29 AM   #4
TJ driver
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I did do a 5/8" drop but why should I have driveshaft vibes with a 2" lift?
Unread 10-12-2007, 10:33 AM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Some TJs do fine with a 2" suspension lift and have no vibes at all, mine had no vibes when it had a 2" suspension lift. Other TJs get vibes with the same 2" amount of lift, not sure why. The old "it's a Jeep thing" saying seems appropriate in the 2" lift some TJs have vibes/some TJs don't have vibes thing.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2007, 11:55 AM   #6
cj847
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Probably because you have an automatic. I had some serious vibes with my 2" lift. I have noticed on the board when people have vibes on short lifts many are coincidently running automatics. I don't know why unless maybe the auto is a few inches longer than the standards.

I went the MML route instead of dropping the tcase.
Unread 10-12-2007, 01:26 PM   #7
waynehartwig
www.jeeperman.com

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You shouldn't get any vibes under 3" of lift. Try replacing your u joints with some quality Spicer ones, that should fix it - without the TC drop!

U joints that wear at a certain ride height and then have an increased ride height will wear in a different place in the joint, causing the vibration.

Try pulling front/rear drivelines seperately to determine which one is giving you problems. While you do this, you can check your u joints. The should move freely and not bind or have any resistance to 'flex'.
waynehartwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2007, 02:00 PM   #8
rubicon35
2004 TJ Wrangler 

they do make cam bolts to help adjust the pinion angle as well
rubicon35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.