Which adjustable TB - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Which adjustable TB

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 05-11-2013, 02:28 AM   #1
glee1229

Which adjustable TB

I'm looking into buying an adjustable track bar and narrowed it down to two options. The Rough Country or Iron Rock Offroad, both double shear (Currie and JKS is out of my budget). I am leaning towards IRO, however, I can't decide on one factor. RC uses a bushing on one end and a heim on the other. While IRO uses bushings on both ends. Which would be the better choice? Thank you.

glee1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 05:34 AM   #2
brianmlove
2005 TJ Wrangler 

In this instance rc one sunce it has a heim joint
brianmlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 06:34 AM   #3
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Whatever one has the best clearance at full bump is what I would be more concerned about.
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 07:23 AM   #4
glee1229

I've read great stuff about the IRO's, but from XJ forums. I haven't seen a lot of TJ owners use them. The IRO looks to be a lot stronger than the RC. Also I used to have a RE TB with heim and the joint got all wore out. I've read mixed opinions to use heim in steering components. Any additional help please?
Unread 05-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
Patrick H
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glee1229 View Post
I'm looking into buying an adjustable track bar and narrowed it down to two options. The Rough Country or Iron Rock Offroad, both double shear (Currie and JKS is out of my budget). I am leaning towards IRO, however, I can't decide on one factor. RC uses a bushing on one end and a heim on the other. While IRO uses bushings on both ends. Which would be the better choice? Thank you.
From other people's experiences, JKS and Currie are the only ones that clear without large amounts of bump stop extension.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...it-fit-738948/

My experience with heim joints is that they don't last very long before they wear enough to start rattling.

I run the JKS on the front. I don't know what your budget is, but I paid $196 from Amazon just a few months ago.
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #6
glee1229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick H

From other people's experiences, JKS and Currie are the only ones that clear without large amounts of bump stop extension.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...it-fit-738948/

My experience with heim joints is that they don't last very long before they wear enough to start rattling.

I run the JKS on the front. I don't know what your budget is, but I paid $196 from Amazon just a few months ago.
I was looking into getting a double shear set up. JKS doesn't have this, correct? Which one did you get? Is it better or equal to getting a double shear?
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #7
Ljcrawler05
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Have you checked out metalcloak's? They are relatively inexpensive and I've heard good things about them.. you can give metalcloak a call and they'll give you more info
Ljcrawler05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #8
Patrick H
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I was looking into getting a double shear set up. JKS doesn't have this, correct? Which one did you get? Is it better or equal to getting a double shear?
OGS126. Single shear. It has a 9/16" bolt at the frame end. Currie has 9/16" and they also have it with a 5/8" bolt. I figure if it ever gives me issues with the 9/16" bolt, I can swap the ball shank portion of the Johnny Joint to a 5/8" diameter.
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #9
glee1229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljcrawler05
Have you checked out metalcloak's? They are relatively inexpensive and I've heard good things about them.. you can give metalcloak a call and they'll give you more info
I read good reviews about them also. However, I am wanting to get a double shear TB.
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:52 AM   #10
Patrick H
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry then, my posts are for naught.
Unread 05-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #11
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
However, I am wanting to get a double shear TB.
if you want a double shear front mount that will actually work you need to cut the stock cast mount off and fabricate/build your own track bar & mount that clears at full bump.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #12
glee1229

I'm leaning towards getting the IRO track bar. But I have a question. Does the track bar need to have forward and back movement also instead of just having up and down movement. Because many other double shear TB come with a heim or JJ. I'm sure this is a plus, but I don't see why a TB must have a joint like that on the frame mount side. IRO comes with poly bushings on both ends. I've only read so many positive things about the IRO track bar that I keep going back on deciding to get it. However, I have not seem many TJ's running this (more XJ's).
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #13
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glee1229
I'm leaning towards getting the IRO track bar. But I have a question. Does the track bar need to have forward and back movement also instead of just having up and down movement. Because many other double shear TB come with a heim or JJ. I'm sure this is a plus, but I don't see why a TB must have a joint like that on the frame mount side. IRO comes with poly bushings on both ends. I've only read so many positive things about the IRO track bar that I keep going back on deciding to get it. However, I have not seem many TJ's running this (more XJ's).
Does your axle travel straight up and down as it cycles?
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #14
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The reason you haven't seen many TJ's running a double shear drop bracket is because they hit the tie-rod and wreck your uptravel.

Proof: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...stion-1520793/

Here's IRO's vendor thread.....their track bar needs 3" bumpstop extension. That puts you at a minimum of around 5-6" of lift based on shock length.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/t...rsion-1475938/

Once again, like I already said, if you want a double shear that will actually work, you need to cut the stock mount off and build your own setup. it's been done. there is some DIY builder support to do it. there is no write-up, there is no kit...you have to build it.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 10:17 PM   #15
scot68
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Why are you so adamant about a double sheer arrangement?
scot68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.