Adjstable control arm stretch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Adjstable control arm stretch

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 07-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
DAMRON
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Adjstable control arm stretch

How much could I stretch my wheel base by installing the full set of short Currie or Rough Country control arms? I was hoping to maybe get about 2 inches more than I have now. I think I lost some due to using stock control arms with the 3 inch lift and it is giving me negative caster problems in the front. Anybody got any words of wisdom on this?

DAMRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
Niceface
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I gained about 1-1/2 inch in the front and 1inch in the rear.

This was due to the currie hd steering. I started rubbing in the front when turning passanger.

In the rear is the gas tank skid. Good luck
Niceface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
DAMRON
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Niceface, That's what I was hoping for. Does anyone have experience with the Rough Country X Flex arms. The set of 8 is just $700 bucks, a little cheaper than the Currie ones.
Unread 07-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMRON View Post
How much could I stretch my wheel base by installing the full set of short Currie or Rough Country control arms? I was hoping to maybe get about 2 inches more than I have now. I think I lost some due to using stock control arms with the 3 inch lift and it is giving me negative caster problems in the front. Anybody got any words of wisdom on this?
The correct answer is you can stretch it in the back until you stuff a 35" tire on the bumpstops without the springs in and the tire rubs the front and back lower edges of the wheel opening.

In the front you can stretch it until you start rubbing the draglink TRE on the trackbar mount or smacking the diff into the trackbar at full stuff.
Unread 07-14-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
DAMRON
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Mr. Blaine, I plan on doing some trimming of the rear wheel openings in necessary. I was just wondering how many inches I could stretch it if I needed to. It sounds like the short arms will give me all the flexibility I need.
Unread 07-14-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks Mr. Blaine, I plan on doing some trimming of the rear wheel openings in necessary. I was just wondering how many inches I could stretch it if I needed to. It sounds like the short arms will give me all the flexibility I need.
look at Rokmen arms...they have a little more lengthening flexibility than the Currie arms.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 02:50 PM   #7
DAMRON
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Another thought. How difficult is it to install adjustable control arms. I was just under there a minute ago because I am installing a PA 1 inch BL and Brown Dog Motor monts today. It looks easy enough. I figured I could do them one at a time so that I would not have too many problems with the axel being hard to move.
Unread 07-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #8
DAMRON
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'll look at hte Rockmen ones right now.
Unread 07-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #9
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'll look at hte Rockmen ones right now.
not Rockmen. Rokmen. Rokmen Gear Up....Rok On
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 02:55 PM   #10
DAMRON
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Luckily the search engine knew what I meant. Those are beefy but more expensive than I was planning. Opinions on the Rough Country X FLex arms?
Unread 07-14-2010, 03:19 PM   #11
Niceface
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I went with Clayton's for all lowers, and Rokmen for all uppers.

I'll say Sean and Rokmen DOES take care of his customers. Very nice guy and a pleasure to deal with.
Niceface is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
control arm , suspension , articulation , stretch , ca , adjustable

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.