Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Adding 33" tires and locker to Dana 35 axle; What lift for 33" tires

6K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Caribic-TJ 
#1 ·
Hi my jeep is a 97 2.5L with a dana 35 rear, 4.10 gears M/T. I would like to start offroading, would 33" tires, and an aussie locker in the rear be an ok start? should i worry about somthing breaking with this setup? if so what upgrades would be required to prevent/lessen breakage? also what lift would clear these tires and offer good proformance without breaking the bank. Thanks for any help

#3 ·
Don't install any locker into a stock D35 axle, the axle shafts are not strong enough. They commonly snap after a locker is installed. Neither is an Aussie (or Lockright or EZ-Locker) a good locker for the rear even if you had the stronger Dana 44 rear axle. Lunchbox lockers are generally very poorly behaved when installed into the rear axle. The only good way you can run with a locker in a Dana 35 is to upgrade it with a Super 35 or c-clip eliminator kit from Superior Axle.

So instead of installing a locker into the stock rear D35, if you don't want to upgrade the rear axle or replace it with something stronger, I'd go as RaggedOleMan suggests and install a locker into your front Dana 30. Up front, you won't notice any difference in steering so long as you remain in 2wd. At worst you will hear a bit of clicking from the front locker on the street so long as you stay in 2wd. Or go with an Eaton No-Slip locker up front for about $100 more and you won't even hear that, it is virtually silent in 2wd.

#5 ·
A decent 4 inch shortarm suspension lift will give you the clearance you need and then some. When I ran 33's, that is what I had.

There are many different ways you can go about getting the clearance you need. Bodylifts, Budget boosts, suspension lifts, or a mixture of any of these.

Search my friend!

#6 ·
You will be OK if you are really easy on it. No bouncing, and if you start slipping tires, let off the clutch.

FWIW, everyone knows someone who's run every axle on every size tire. I know a guy that runs a Grand Cherokee with 33" boggers and lockers front and rear with a D30/D35. He wheels in sand and heavy rocks, but with a light foot. He hasn't broken a shaft - yet.

The shafts are relatively easy to change and you will have experience with this when you put the locker in.

The bottom line is if you are careful with it you will be ok but don't count on it lasting forever, and carry spare shafts. You would do well to buy alloy shafts and carry your stockers as replacements.

#9 ·
While the alloy axle shaft recommendation is a good one, I won't go along with your statement that he'd be ok if he is easy on it/no bouncing/let off the clutch/etc. Light foot or not, a locked Dana 35 is going to break if it sees much offroad use. I used to run a Dana 35 and I broke it on the street doing a gentle u-turn with only one offroad trip on it several weeks prior. And I assure you I was absolutely paranoid about it breaking so I was as gentle with it as you said it would be ok with.

There is no way to run a locker in a stock Dana 35c without something in the axle, usually an axle shaft, breaking. Even if you are "extra extra extra careful".

And even when carrying spare shafts, it's not fair to others in your group to wheel with a locked stock Dana 35 or other breakage-prone component. When you break an axle shaft, then you are forcing at least one if not all of the group to remain with you or help you until you are moving again.

Unexpected breakage is one thing everyone can accept. But breakage of an axle shaft etc. that can be expected based on solid advice and warnings from experienced knowledgeable Jeepers is quite another.

#8 ·
What kind of terrain are you going to be wheeling in? Do you really need a lift? If I had it to do over I'd start with the lockers, the armor, the winch, some good mud terrains.....nothing that would need a lift. Wheel the crap out of it, then figure out what I needed next. I've seen stockers do quite a bit. Even with my 4" lift and 33s I'm still "scared" of rocks...since I don't have any armor on the under side.

#12 ·
Yeah no steering would be a bad thing...not sure what im trying to accomplish because im just getting started so i have no idea what to expect stock preformance wise as well what kind of terrian i will encounter<--although that might be a good place for me to start. I dont think there are many places to go around westchester ny so im gonna have to look around. i just dont want to go unprepared. Thanks again

#14 ·
If you're just starting out, get some good tires, mud terrains are my suggestion. Maybe a size up from stock, which won't require a lift or antying. Wheel it stock...find a local club if you have can. I wheel with stockers all the time, they have just as much fun as I do, once in awhile they may need a tug, but we cover the same trails....my set up just does it easier.

Selectable lockers f/r would be sweet. Running open f/r for awhile will help develop your offroad driving skills.

Don't just start throwing money at the jeep....they obsorb enough on their own. :laugh:

#13 ·
I don't agree with everyone on not putting a locker in a D35, we have done it for over 15 years using Detroits and never broke a thing. Its my thought that if your wheeling hard enough to break that on 33's, maybe you need a different axle and some larger tires. For general offroading it will be just fine. Do I run one? No, but I know my driving style and wimpy stock jeep axles won't put up with V8 power and 42's lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.