AC re-charging question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AC re-charging question

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-04-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
TXjeepTJ

AC re-charging question

I am currently away from home, so I do not have my 'professional gauges' with me to check the ac, I bought a can of freon which came with a gauge connected to it.

When adding freon, the pressue doesn't change at all on the gauge. There are no leaks anywhere in the system (I have added dye, and checked everywhere). There was still freon in the system before I added, just not enough to get the inside of the jeep cold.

I only added freon for about 1 minute, when I noticed the gauge not moving I removed it and didn't add anymore (jeep still isnt blowing cold air). Do I need to add alot of freon to see a change in pressure? or is that gauge 100% worthless

TXjeepTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 04:03 PM   #2
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I would guess that you either have no pressure or the gauge is worthless. Not too helpful, but it's got to be one of the 2. You have the AC on high when you're doing this?
Unread 08-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
SpaceWrangler
Gnarly Adventurer

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Location: Where the Girls Dance Different With Familiar Grace
You're sure the system is low on R134a, or did you just assume so because the air is warm coming out of the vents? Have you eliminated the heater box doors as the source of the warm air? A broken door or malfunctioning door or a disconnected vacuum hose could prevent the doors from operating properly, allowing warm air to mix in the heater box and get sent to the vents instead of cold air from the A/C evaporator.
Unread 08-04-2010, 04:14 PM   #4
TXjeepTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
I would guess that you either have no pressure or the gauge is worthless. Not too helpful, but it's got to be one of the 2. You have the AC on high when you're doing this?
I have it connected to the low side (as directed on the instruction). There is def. pressure in the line, as the gauge indicates about 35psi (it is 105 degrees here right now so I need it close to 50psi). When disconnected the gauge reads 0psi. Man I wish I had the money to get a different gauge, but I blew $40 on this damn can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67 View Post
Have you eliminated the heater box doors as the source of the warm air? A broken door or malfunctioning door or a disconnected vacuum hose could prevent the doors from operating properly, allowing warm air to mix in the heater box and get sent to the vents instead of cold air from the A/C evaporator.
yeah, I moved the heater door manually with my hand (above pass. side floor) it is warm then super hot(when door opens heater box). The vacuum line is good (otherwise I would be getting air through the defrost vents). thanks for the questioning though

how long does it usually take to add freon to a vehicle? about 5 minutes? or is it something that should take a few seconds. Watching videos on youtube, people have the freon connected for about 3-5 minutes..

I am wondering if I just need to add alot.......???

Last edited by TXjeepTJ; 08-04-2010 at 04:37 PM..
Unread 08-04-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
BaddAndy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Does your compressor cycle on and off alot? I just added 2 big cans to my F-150. The gage would drop down to the low green range when cycled on, then med blue when off. Now it doesn't cycle anymore and reads a little into the blue with freezing cold air coming out of the vents.
Unread 08-04-2010, 05:46 PM   #6
jim.p
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry if this is to simple.

But the compressor is turning, right. A lot of systems shut the compressor off if the pressure drops to low to save the compressor. If it is not turning you will need to jumper the switch while charging. Just don't leave the jumper on and destroy the compressor.
jim.p is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 05:55 PM   #7
TheDragonfly
2001 TJ Wrangler 

When I used one of those cans on mine and it wasnt adding pressure, and the compressor was kicking on and off really fast. I took it in, and it had a leak and needed a new metal hose.
TheDragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 05:58 PM   #8
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I added freon to my XJ in the past and it slows down as the can cools. I would let the can sit on the compressor as the hot air from the engine blew over it to get the freon going again. It takes a couple minutes for it go in.
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 06:09 PM   #9
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXjeepTJ View Post
There are no leaks anywhere in the system (I have added dye, and checked everywhere).
If you are low of freon, you DO HAVE a leak or else you would not need to add freon, it may be small, but freon does not get used up.

You could have any number of problems, like mentioned above, including blocked/clodded orfice.
Unread 08-04-2010, 07:12 PM   #10
TXjeepTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
If you are low of freon, you DO HAVE a leak or else you would not need to add freon, it may be small, but freon does not get used up.

You could have any number of problems, like mentioned above, including blocked/clodded orfice.
yes, I meant that the leak wasn't BIG causing the freon to exit the system right away as I added it (no pressure change). I do have a small leak, which I have pin pointed to one of the schraeder valves, I am going on a trip tomorrow and ac would be nice

The compressor is turning on

I added just a little bit more of freon and now the temp in the jeep is getting to about 48 degrees, I guess once I get back to my garage I can hook up the real gauges and get it all perfect

Last edited by TXjeepTJ; 08-04-2010 at 07:38 PM..

Tags
ac , a/c , recharge , recharging , kit , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.