AC only works on HIGH - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AC only works on HIGH

JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 08-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #1
sajeepgirl
2001 TJ Wrangler 

AC only works on HIGH

The AC on my 2001 TJ will only work on the highest setting. I know there is a seperate fan for that and that the fan that controls the lower settings may not be working. I am a complete novice on auto repair. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any ideas on how to fix it? Thanks!

sajeepgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Search "blower motor resistor" or the like, and you should find a ton of info on here.
Unread 08-17-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
Jimb726
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Unless I am mistaken it will most likely be either the blower resistor (very likely) or the resister pack (not nearly as likely). Part is about $60 at the part store and takes about 15 minutes to install.
Jimb726 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajeepgirl View Post
The AC on my 2001 TJ will only work on the highest setting. I know there is a seperate fan for that and that the fan that controls the lower settings may not be working. I am a complete novice on auto repair. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any ideas on how to fix it? Thanks!
We live in Houston, it's either no top and doors, or A/C on high, I fail to see the issue here

Μολὼν λαβέ
TheRealKTrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
jeepjerryp7m8
1982 CJ8 

Contacts on my switch in the dash got hot and self destructed no fire, no smoke, just heat over time. Purchased a new switch, not the whole control with all 3 switches in it and replaced. Easy to check, just pull the bezel on the center off, remove the switch "pod" and inspect.
Center bezel removal- pop off defrost vent cover on top of dash, this just lifts/pop off, locate the 2 screws that secure the top of the bezel and remove, grab the bezel and pull away from dash, once you start you'll figure it out.
4 screws hold in the switch pod, remove and pull switchs out and inspect the wiring. Also use your nose, give the switches and wiring a sniff. You'll know it when you smell it, burnt electrical has a distinct smell.
Just something to check and it is really easy. Good luck.
Jerry
jeepjerryp7m8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #6
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

usually if you only have high fan speed it is the resistor . high speed bypasses the resistor . I changed mine last week end . Cost me $13.88 at NAPA and it was the exact same brand I removed . Plenty of videos on U Tube showing how . all I needed was a small screw driver to undo the red lock on the plug and an 8mm ratchet wrench ( easier than a rachet and socket ), remove the glove box and the light under it to make life easier . takes about 5-10 min if that
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
Tmblack3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

my resistor was fine, i replaced it and didnt fix anything. took it to dealer and it was the control switch that had burnt out.
04 TJ Sport- Kicker System, Smittybilt XRC-8 Winch, Cherry Bomb 18" Glasspack, 3" Zone Hydro Suspension Lift, 33x12.50 BFG KM2, 15x8 Procomp 7069, Aussie Locker front Dana 30, JKS 1.25" Body Lift, 4 100w Hella 500s
Tmblack3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
xjandyj

tmblack...same as me..i just replaced the resistor 5 mins ago..and i still only have high....what did they replace exactly..have the part #?.....
xjandyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Three things can cause the fan to run only on High... a blown resistor pack, the fan speed switch has burned out, or the wiring harness between the fan switch and resistor pack has burned up/melted. All three of those are common. My '97 TJ had both a blown resistor pack and a burned up/melted wiring harness where it plugged into the resistor pack above the passenger-side footwell.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2012, 05:19 AM   #10
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimb726 View Post
Unless I am mistaken it will most likely be either the blower resistor (very likely) or the resister pack (not nearly as likely). Part is about $60 at the part store and takes about 15 minutes to install.
Resistor/resistor pack is the same thing.
Neil F. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2012, 06:51 AM   #11
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that doing the relay modification will cure all of these problems. Putting an end to this senseless replacement of parts every few months.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2012, 07:02 AM   #12
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that doing the relay modification will cure all of these problems. Putting an end to this senseless replacement of parts every few months.
I might have, however my new resistor has been holding strong since April without it.
Unread 09-14-2012, 08:52 AM   #13
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackJaw View Post
I might have, however my new resistor has been holding strong since April without it.
Hang in there it will go out soon enough. They typically last almost a year from what I have seen.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2012, 09:03 AM   #14
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
Hang in there it will go out soon enough. They typically last almost a year from what I have seen.
lol, okay I will...I like first-hand experience
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #15
BIRICON
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have an 03 Rubicon. My fan won't work on the first 2 low settings but will work on 3 and 4 - the two higher settings. I assume this is also the same resistor/switch type of problem? Also what is the relay mod that may eliminate all of this?
Also, isn't there some 'special' tool needed to remove the black bezel over the center dash section?
BIRICON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2001 , ac , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.