AC/Heat Blower Switch Melting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AC/Heat Blower Switch Melting

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-20-2008, 03:22 AM   #1
Stasis
2001 TJ Wrangler 

AC/Heat Blower Switch Melting

I have now been through 4 ac blower speed switches (and of course you have to buy the entire HVAC unit). The plastic internals of the switches keep melting to the point that the contacts shift and the switch is damaged beyond repair. I have tried replacing the blower fan however this last switch melted no longer then 2 months after swapping out the blower. I didnt think the resistor would be at fault because if that isnt working right it still shouldnt put out more then the highest speed voltage, am I wrong with that? Also this time I havent been using the highest speed (4) just in case, but today it melted position 3, the rest still work but obviously there is still an issue. Please if anyone has any idea what could be causing this let me know, I have already spent over $400 trying to fix this...

2001 TJ Sport 60th
RE 4.5 Suspention Lift
Detroit Rear Locker
35" MTs
Stasis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
Stasis
2001 TJ Wrangler 

anyone have any idea?

2001 TJ Sport 60th
RE 4.5 Suspention Lift
Detroit Rear Locker
35" MTs
Unread 09-20-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
RavenCorax
1988 XJ Cherokee 

i see a few options replace the resistor cant hurt to try. and follow all your wiring back if you can clean all your grounds.

in all 3 xj's ive worked on all the switchesand plugs were melted we think one of em actually caused a dash fire in my nephews jeep.
Unread 09-20-2008, 04:15 PM   #4
Stasis
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, it gets hot enough and the plastic looks like it boils, I could see it causing a fire which is not good! Living in Arizona AC is essential though. They need to do something about this if it is that common of a problem! I am sick of buying these switches when they just keep melting, what a poorly made switch too...

2001 TJ Sport 60th
RE 4.5 Suspention Lift
Detroit Rear Locker
35" MTs
Unread 09-20-2008, 08:20 PM   #5
Stasis
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone have any idea where the grounds for the fan switch are? I checked all that I could find near by but not sure if its the right one...

2001 TJ Sport 60th
RE 4.5 Suspention Lift
Detroit Rear Locker
35" MTs
Unread 09-20-2008, 08:58 PM   #6
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

The problem is with the wiring that jeep uses, to small of a gauge wire for the job. The blower motor bushings wear out in time, causing the motor to pull more current than the switch can handle. (Melted switches and wires) Adding a relay between the switch and the blower motor resistor WILL fix the problem. Mine started with the third speed setting and moved up to the fourth setting. I added two relays, one for each of the highest settings. This is how you can fix it once and for all.

Parts used for the mod so far are: 40 amp relay, relay socket, some 12 gauge wire, solder, heat shrink, and a few 10-12 gauge butt connectors.

The wire for the 3rd fan speed is light blue on my '01 TJ. I cut this wire just past the switch. I extended the switch side of the light blue wire with a short piece of 12 gauge wire which I connected to terminal 85 of the relay, this provides the signal to energize the relay. The other side of this wire goes to the resistor block, I extended it with a short piece of 12 gauge wire that I connected to terminal 30 of the relay, when the relay energizes a ground will be applied to the resistor block through the light blue wire. 12 volts is needed for the relay to energize, I got this from a 12 gauge wire that I ran straight to the battery and connected to terminal 86 of the relay. I've connected a long piece of 12 gauge wire to terminal 87 of the relay, this will get attached to a good ground somewhere under the dash. That should complete the installation. I've burned out position 3 on the switch twice and I hope this will prevent that ever happening again. I may even go ahead and throw a relay on position 4 as well. Positions 1 & 2 don't see as much current as either 3 or 4 and should be fine without the mod.

JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2008, 10:59 PM   #7
Stasis
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info JBTJ, mine is a 01 too but my wires are always fine, just the plastic in the switch melts in no time. I just replaced the blower motor with a brand new one so it shouldnt be pulling more power then normal. Nice schematic there but I dont think I am good enough at electronics to follow that...

2001 TJ Sport 60th
RE 4.5 Suspention Lift
Detroit Rear Locker
35" MTs
Unread 09-21-2008, 05:39 AM   #8
EdwinALink
1999 TJ Wrangler 

yeah thats the right way! but i dont have the time to do all that. so i bought the switch, some connectors, cut the pignose out of the harness, spliced it in... and tell my passengers that if they put it on the highest setting they may kill us all with a fiery death!
EdwinALink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2008, 05:40 AM   #9
EdwinALink
1999 TJ Wrangler 

also, is there a trick to putting that switch in the back of the control panel? it was extremly hard to get it in on mine!
EdwinALink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2008, 02:10 PM   #10
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Here are a couple links that may interest you.

http://www.gotjeep.net/article.php?num=13

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=392809

There used to be the website that described how to fix the bad ground problem with the system, but it appears the website is no longer up. If you use the relays described in the above link you shouldn't have anymore problems.

http://www.clavicle3.com

http://www.jeepwest.com
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2008, 04:49 PM   #11
Stasis
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Cool, thanks for the info. Too bad Chrysler doesnt fix it themselves for real...

Anyone know a good, cheap place to order factory parts online? I found that they do now sell just that switch, part number 5011214AA.

2001 TJ Sport 60th
RE 4.5 Suspention Lift
Detroit Rear Locker
35" MTs
Unread 09-22-2008, 05:16 PM   #12
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.moparpartsamerica.com/par...?siteid=214583

http://www.clavicle3.com

http://www.jeepwest.com
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2008, 02:27 PM   #13
A2SuperCrew
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My blower fan switch seems to be on it's way out too. Yesterday in the afternoon the fan would not work at all. Both fuses are OK, and the blower motor resistor is brand new. This morning, the fan works fine on all speeds. This is the second time it's done this. I guess it's a warning! I ordered a new switch from Morris 4x4 to have on hand. It was only $21 delivered. Looks like I have a little project for next weekend already!
Unread 09-29-2008, 03:49 PM   #14
Goose346
2010 JK Wrangler 

You can buy just the switch - there is no need to purchase the entire pod. Cost is about $22. Mopar sells over 12,000 switches per year.
Goose346 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2008, 05:40 PM   #15
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

If memory serves me right, I popped the front black plastic of the white base. That let me install the switch shaft at an angle then rotate it into place.
Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.