AC Evaporator leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AC Evaporator leak

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 10-10-2013, 01:08 AM   #1
Carlo
2001 TJ Wrangler 

AC Evaporator leak

I have 2001 4.0L TJ that has a refrigerant leak inside the passenger compartment. Is this a common problem? Will the leak always be coming from the evaporator and not somewhere else inside the cabin? The inlet and outlet of the evaporator extends out of the firewall into the engine compartment. This is why I am presuming there is a hole in the evaporator. From the sightglass inside the engine compartment, the color is green therefore it still has an adequate amount of the refrigerant. Is there a purge or overpressure valve in the system where it would purge the refrigerant when it reaches a certain pressure?

Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 01:12 AM   #2
Necko2529
Surfing JF Since '04

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Where does it leak inside the passenger compartment? Are you sure its not antifreeze leaking out of the heater core over on the passenger side under the dash and not refrigerant?

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

RIP "Prescott 19" Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
Carlo
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The TJ 4.0L is in another country therefore I cannot check it. I am simply relaying the reports given to me from a friend.

At first, I suspected it was the coolant. The coolant was checked and there and it was full. Then the coolant dye was mixed and there wasn't any visible signs inside the cabin. Then maybe it could have been the brake/clutch fluid leaking from the inside but the reservoir was full and the paint from the floorboard had no damage. Therefore the last one must be the AC refrigerant. However, I have a problem believing the evaporator has a leak. Are there any other places inside the cabin where the AC refrigerant might leak other than the evaporator.

I will be able to see my TJ in 2 months and would like the purchase the parts in the U.S. for it is cheaper.
Unread 10-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
The TJ 4.0L is in another country therefore I cannot check it. I am simply relaying the reports given to me from a friend.

At first, I suspected it was the coolant. The coolant was checked and there and it was full. Then the coolant dye was mixed and there wasn't any visible signs inside the cabin. Then maybe it could have been the brake/clutch fluid leaking from the inside but the reservoir was full and the paint from the floorboard had no damage. Therefore the last one must be the AC refrigerant. However, I have a problem believing the evaporator has a leak. Are there any other places inside the cabin where the AC refrigerant might leak other than the evaporator.

I will be able to see my TJ in 2 months and would like the purchase the parts in the U.S. for it is cheaper.
The only place the refrigerant travels in the cabin is the evaporator. I don't think there're any other places it could come from inside the cabin.

Fwiw, mine leaked...they're a kind of a PITA to replace, you have to take out the dash, but overall not that bad of a job I guess. If you replace it, I would highly suggest replacing the heater core at the same time.

Edit: if you can afford the mopar stuff, I would go that route, some aftermarket stuff doesn't fit as well in the hvac housing

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
Carlo
2001 TJ Wrangler 

by the way, the sight glass for the refrigerant was checked by the mechanic and it showed full.
Unread 10-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
Carlo
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 View Post
The only place the refrigerant travels in the cabin is the evaporator. I don't think there're any other places it could come from inside the cabin.

Fwiw, mine leaked...they're a kind of a PITA to replace, you have to take out the dash, but overall not that bad of a job I guess. If you replace it, I would highly suggest replacing the heater core at the same time.

Edit: if you can afford the mopar stuff, I would go that route, some aftermarket stuff doesn't fit as well in the hvac housing

Sent by a messenger bird
Did you also replace the hose(s) or just the o rings???
Unread 10-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
Carlo
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Did you also replace the hose(s) or just the o rings???
What about the Receiver/Dryer? Isn't that inside the cabin also? Did you replace it too?
Unread 10-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #8
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

What about the Receiver/Dryer? Isn't that inside the cabin also? Did you replace it too?
The receiver/dryer is in the engine bay. I replaced the hoses too, but I already had to replace them anyways

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.