ac causing problems- why is my ac causing my jeep to cut off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ac causing problems- why is my ac causing my jeep to cut off

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-07-2007, 08:04 AM   #1
cvaria

ac causing problems- why is my ac causing my jeep to cut off

why is my ac causing my jeep to cut off?

I have an 02 tj se and it idless rough and does insane things when the ac is on. the ac unit itself is on the lamb. the knobs are not accurate. i have to fiddle with it to get the ac to turn off. what is going on?

cvaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2007, 08:06 AM   #2
Unscathed
2001 TJ Wrangler 

What are you idling at without the AC on?

The owner of Alljeep.com, Wayne Hartwig will work within your budget!!! He is very informative to anyone not knowing much about axle work and will meet or beat any competitor's advertised price on any specific product delivered to your door - even if he sells at cost!
Unscathed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2007, 08:15 AM   #3
cvaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unscathed
What are you idling at without the AC on?
<p> rough below "1" and sometimes it will just cut off if i take it out of gear while driving and i'll have to use the gas petal to start it back up. (happened on the expressway too). if i down-shift through the gears to come to a stop it will temporarily behave but eventually cut off. i noticed that it was the ac doing this when i got frustrated and just sat in the jeep one day when it had gotten out of control. i noticed that the ac switch was on the little jeep with the "u" in it. there was nothing going on as far as temp control, just the switch was there. i turned it of and the jeep went back to normal.
cvaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2007, 08:47 AM   #4
Cooneys08JK

2008 JK Wrangler 

sounds like the engine is starving for fuel....maybe fuel pump

'99 Chilli Pepper XJ- Wheeler- BFG ATs, 2 " BB + bolt on stuff
Cooneys08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2007, 09:07 AM   #5
Unscathed
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well idle between 500-800 is normal... rough is not..

I would do the following first before fooling with anything else.. easy first.. hard later.

First, change your air cleaner... (10 bucks)
Second, give it some new spark plugs. (12 bucks)

Do that first.. as you would need to do it anyway for a tuneup.. and post your progress here and we will move on to other steps.

The owner of Alljeep.com, Wayne Hartwig will work within your budget!!! He is very informative to anyone not knowing much about axle work and will meet or beat any competitor's advertised price on any specific product delivered to your door - even if he sells at cost!
Unscathed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2007, 09:29 AM   #6
FLATFENDER54
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Vacumn leak, need a tune up maybe? Your jeep is supposed to idle up when AC is on (to compensate for the drag the compressor puts on the motor so all in all it will equal out on the rpm guage instead of dropping lower and stalling)

Sounds like it may not idling up and like you have 2 problems or more
FLATFENDER54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2007, 09:42 AM   #7
Big-E
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My vote is Vacumn leak.
Big-E is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.