AC blowing hot--temp dial in cold, but temp dial was previously in hot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AC blowing hot--temp dial in cold, but temp dial was previously in hot

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 10-15-2008, 05:27 PM   #1
greendot200200
2000 TJ Wrangler 

AC blowing hot--temp dial in cold, but temp dial was previously in hot

The other day I used the heat in my 2000 TJ and the following day I used the AC. When I activated the AC the temperature dial was turned all the way hot from the previous use, so I then turned the temperature all the way down cold, but the blown air never got cold. I tried several things:turning the AC off and reactivating with the temp dial at the proper temp, turn the vehicle off with the AC on and temp dial at the proper temp and then restart and different combos of the prior two and no matter what I did at the moment the blown air was always hot. I had to shut the vehicle down over night and the next day the AC worked properly. I tried my situation out in my XJ and the blown air switched over to cold. Can someone please tell me what is wrong?

Thanks

greendot200200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2008, 06:44 AM   #2
greendot200200
2000 TJ Wrangler 

bump de bump
Unread 11-13-2008, 04:52 PM   #3
greendot200200
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Any one got any ideas on this one?
Unread 11-13-2008, 05:08 PM   #4
thesherm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i was going to say your cable might be disconnected but you ruled it out when you said that it went back to cold by turning the jeep off and on.
Unfortunately you are one of those poor misguided folks that believes leaving the gear shift lever in one slot or another is an indication of control.

Come go for a ride and I'll be glad to demonstrate the difference between what you perceive incorrectly as "control" and what control actually is.

Pick a different reason because that one is both lame and stupid to perpetuate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Pardon me for damaging your precious reputation. It's not that I disagree, that would be a difference of opinion. This isn't subjective, it's objective, you are just wrong. If you make that statement, you are misguided. It is that simple.
thesherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2008, 05:18 PM   #5
greendot200200
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesherm View Post
i was going to say your cable might be disconnected but you ruled it out when you said that it went back to cold by turning the jeep off and on.
Hey, thanks for the thought. This is a weird one. It's almost like a flap/duct or some sort of air guiding device isn't flipping over. Thanks tho.
Unread 11-13-2008, 06:17 PM   #6
CraigJenkins1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The tj jeep uses a variety of ways to control the ac and heating. You checked the cable its conneted to the lever but what about the mount for the cable sleeving? Is the red mounting thingee conected to your controller? As far as the vent flap it works by diverting air to either the heater core the condensor. if the cable is not connected properly then this would happen all your other vents besides the cabled one is connected by a vacuumm line which drives pneumatic switches.
CraigJenkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2008, 06:26 AM   #7
baggerman1

Heater

My first thought is to check to see if your actuator motor located under the lower half of the heater housing is working. Unlike 97-98 models which were cable controlled for temperature, beginning in 99 and up through 2006 on the TJ, temperature was electronically controlled. When turning the temperature knob on the instrument panel, this (for lack of a better term) sends a message to whats known as an actuator motor underneath heater housing on the passenger side. Depending on which way you move the knob(heat or cool) will tell this motor to "swing" the blend door located inside of the heater housing. Sometimes when the temp knob is turned all the way to heat or cool, the blend door gets in a jamb inside the housing and the motor cannot turn because the door swung to much. It is an easy check.
1) Take the actuator loose from the heater housing(2 screws, IIRC) The rod from the blend door will be exposed and see if you can turn that rod by hand. If you cannot, you know it is stuck in one position. Usually, you can take your fingers and free it. However, there are times that using pliers to grip the rod and gently turn will "break it loose"
2) Check to see if the actuator motor is working. Find the actuator motor under the heater housing. Turn the ignition on, and move the temp knob and you can see the motor turning.
baggerman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.