About to throw in the towel and post it for sale - JeepForum.com

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 03-19-2017, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Botlefed
2004 LJ Wrangler 

About to throw in the towel and post it for sale

After many days/nights in the garage under the jeep and replacing just about every part I could think of I am at a loss with this vibration. I am just going to start from scratch.

Either I am a complete dumb-*** or I am just not understanding some of the suggestions that were given. I would truly appreciate any and all suggestion on what to do to get this fixed.

My plan right now is to pull the front shaft. Start over with the rear pinion adjustments.

Should I completely start over and pull the springs and go through the process of setting up all 8 adjustable arms?

I have done that once and I haven't touched the lowers at all so they should be set but if anyone thinks that I would be better off doing that I absolutely will.

I believe I understand it correctly that with a SYI the rear pinion should be slightly lower than the shaft. I know no two are ever the same, but I am looking for a starting measurement to work up from. Should I start with it 3 degrees lower? 2 degrees? Once I can set it at what would be considered a "safe" point that I won't do any damage I will run it up 1/2 turn of the arms at a time until I can't get it any better.

Or should I start at it level and work my way down?

I don't even want to discuss the front yet until I get the rear 100%

I'm sure some of you more experienced guys are sick of posts and questions like this but some help would be appreciated. I bought this jeep to be able to get out and experience new things with the wife and our two Akitas, three months later it's not all that much fun any more and the dogs have never even been in it yet.

Mcrist likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 03-19-2017, 05:18 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Can you post a picture showing the full length of the driveshaft from the side?...
post #3 of 31 Old 03-19-2017, 05:25 PM
Jon_Alex
2004 TJ Wrangler 

What kind of vibration? Like driveline (high frequency vibes that show up at a certain speed), or more suspension related shimmys? What lift did you install? Did you square the axles? Balance the tires? Alignment/toe-in? Check trackbar bolts? Driveline balance?

My rear pinion is maybe 1 degree lower than the driveshaft. Basically you point it at the t-case output and maybe lower it one degree. Do you have a tummy tuck? If so is the t-case rubbing anywhere on the tub?

What's the logic behind pulling the springs again? Why would you pull the front driveline? To get it balanced?

KJ6HYE

"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies." -Nietzsche

post #4 of 31 Old 03-19-2017, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Botlefed
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Here are Picts of the front and rear shafts
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4169_1489967773380.jpg   IMG_4170_1489967791001.jpg   IMG_4171_1489967810333.jpg   IMG_4172_1489967825306.jpg   IMG_4173_1489967838059.jpg  

IMG_4174_1489967859702.jpg  
post #5 of 31 Old 03-19-2017, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Botlefed
2004 LJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Jon_Alex;37742194]What kind of vibration? Like driveline (high frequency vibes that show up at a certain speed), or more suspension related shimmys? What lift did you install? Did you square the axles? Balance the tires? Alignment/toe-in? Check trackbar bolts? Driveline balance?

My rear pinion is maybe 1 degree lower than the driveshaft. Basically you point it at the t-case output and maybe lower it one degree. Do you have a tummy tuck? If so is the t-case rubbing anywhere on the tub?

What's the logic behind pulling the springs again? Why would you pull the front driveline? To get it balanced?[/QUOTES

Here is the back story. 04 Lj. Zone 3 in lift, 8 metal cloak arms, front and rear MC track bars, 4:88 gears, Detroit tru tracks front and rear, SYI, all bearings and u-joints are new in front and rear axels, all new ball joints, all new tie rods, new unit bearings, new motor mounts, new trans mount, transfer case complete rebuilt.

Let's put it this way, with the exception of the transmission and the engine the entire jeep is new. Maybe 2000 miles on all of it.

The vibration starts at about 50 and gets worse as speeds increase. Tires and wheels are also new and have been road force balanced twice.
post #6 of 31 Old 03-19-2017, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Botlefed
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Oh. I have tried two Tom Wood shafts in the front and now have Denny's driveshaft front and rear shafts.

I also just replaced the front output shaft on the tc yesterday.
post #7 of 31 Old 03-19-2017, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Botlefed
2004 LJ Wrangler 

When I measured the rear pinion on the flats next to the cover and the driveshaft where it sits right now the pinion measures 1.2 below the driveshaft.
post #8 of 31 Old 03-19-2017, 06:22 PM
Jon_Alex
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Have you driven it down the highway without the front driveline in? Vibration is coming from the rear?

KJ6HYE

"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies." -Nietzsche
post #9 of 31 Old 03-19-2017, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Botlefed
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Yes, it is 60-75% gone with the front shaft out. There is still some there but not as bad.
post #10 of 31 Old 03-19-2017, 06:42 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Replace that zerk on the front driveshaft with a threaded plug.
The rear pinion looks low and the front pinion looks high...
post #11 of 31 Old 03-19-2017, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Botlefed
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Replace that zerk on the front driveshaft with a threaded plug...
The rear has the same so I am assuming replace them both?

The rear is about a degree low and the front is about a degree high.

I should not raise the rear above the shaft right? And the front shouldn't go below the shaft?
post #12 of 31 Old 03-19-2017, 06:50 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botlefed View Post
Yes, it is 60-75% gone with the front shaft out. There is still some there but not as bad.
With the front pulled, lower or raise the rear ever so slightly until the vibes are all gone. Don't put the front back in until they are.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #13 of 31 Old 03-19-2017, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Botlefed
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Quote:
With the front pulled, lower or raise the rear ever so slightly until the vibes are all gone. Don't put the front back in until they are.
The front is back out now, if you were guess should I start by going up with it first?
post #14 of 31 Old 03-19-2017, 07:20 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The rear has the same so I am assuming replace them both?

The rear is about a degree low and the front is about a degree high.

I should not raise the rear above the shaft right? And the front shouldn't go below the shaft?
Yes, replace both.
Yes, you sound like your getting the idea on the pinion angles... IMO
post #15 of 31 Old 03-19-2017, 08:59 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The front is back out now, if you were guess should I start by going up with it first?
Go up 1/2 degree and take it for a drive to the 50 and above it starts at. If it is delayed and starts later, you're going the right direction. If it starts sooner, you aren't.

Be aware that you have soft bushings in your control arms. They will give more as the load from wind resistance increases. You may wind up with a setting that vibes a little under a hard take off but then gets smoother and stays that way. You also may find that you keep it vibe free in a range like 45-70 and then have to live with staying under 70.

This would be a lot more fun with double adjustable arms.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.