? about Skyjacker Shocks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ? about Skyjacker Shocks

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 02-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
dbabicky
1975 J-Series Truck 

? about Skyjacker Shocks

Can you run the Sky Jacker Nitro shocks upside down? (Piston rod down)

Unread 02-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have seen people do it, but I don't recommend running a twin tube shock with the canister up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 12:20 AM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidriver View Post
I have seen people do it, but I don't recommend running a twin tube shock with the canister up.
I thought their Nitro shock was a monotube.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
dbabicky
1975 J-Series Truck 

The reason I asked the question is that I did a 2" BB with Skyjacker Nitro shocks to my 1998 TJ Sport. It looked really tight for the rear shocks, so we mounted them upside down to give us a little more room.
Now the Jeep rides like it has no/worn out shocks in the rear. It's very "Bouncy" in the rear.
Is this a "upside down" shock issue or traits of the 2" BB? The front rides fine, but the shocks are mounted right side up.

Thanks in advance.
Unread 02-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Put them right side up. Why do you need more room anyway?

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2013, 12:29 AM   #6
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

No Jerry, just because they are charged has nothing to do with the internals. They are basically the same shock as a hydro with some gas charge behind it. Still the crappy twin tube design. Hated both my hydro and nitro sets.... Heres some info

Nitro shocks from Skyjacker are designed to adjust automatically to any on or off-road conditions. They feature 150 psi pressurized nitrogen gas, twin-tube construction, and multi-stage, velocity-sensitive valving. These shocks also have an oversized piston head and a 14mm piston rod. They come standard with red polyurethane bushings and boots, and they look great and make your ride smoother, whether you're on the trail or the open road.

Quote:
Unread 02-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
Put them right side up. Why do you need more room anyway?
The rear shocks are commonly inverted to provide more clearance between them and the lower spring perch after the axle is rotated to raise the pinion angle for a CV driveshaft.

Quote:
No Jerry, just because they are charged has nothing to do with the internals. They are basically the same shock as a hydro with some gas charge behind it. Still the crappy twin tube design. Hated both my hydro and nitro sets.... Heres some info

Nitro shocks from Skyjacker are designed to adjust automatically to any on or off-road conditions. They feature 150 psi pressurized nitrogen gas, twin-tube construction, and multi-stage, velocity-sensitive valving. These shocks also have an oversized piston head and a 14mm piston rod. They come standard with red polyurethane bushings and boots, and they look great and make your ride smoother, whether you're on the trail or the open road.
I believe you, I had only found the monotube version of their gas charged shocks on their website when I was looking for more info sometime back. They definitely also have a monotube version of gas charged shock.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #8
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbabicky View Post
The reason I asked the question is that I did a 2" BB with Skyjacker Nitro shocks to my 1998 TJ Sport. It looked really tight for the rear shocks, so we mounted them upside down to give us a little more room.
Now the Jeep rides like it has no/worn out shocks in the rear. It's very "Bouncy" in the rear.
Is this a "upside down" shock issue or traits of the 2" BB? The front rides fine, but the shocks are mounted right side up.

Thanks in advance.
Yes
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
BLK00TJ
Creepy Crawler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
... make your ride smoother, whether you're on the trail or the open road.
This part made me laugh.
BLK00TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #10
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK00TJ View Post
This part made me laugh.
Same here. I just cut and pasted that off the website.

Quote:
Unread 02-22-2013, 11:53 PM   #11
dbabicky
1975 J-Series Truck 

Yes, I have proven it to myself. Sky Jacker Nitro's do not work in the upside down position. Installed them right side up,(rod end up), they work as advertised.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.