About to change the oil on the 6 speed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > About to change the oil on the 6 speed

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-01-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

About to change the oil on the 6 speed

Well the NSG 370 needs an oil change. Ive got the oil and the tools, but I was just wondering what the best thing to put on the plugs when Im going back in with them.

Ive seen people do teflon tape and pipe dope, but Im wondering what is the correct thing to put on the fill and drain plugs.

BTW Im using Amsoil going back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
TheHeretic
Kool Kat 4x4

2005 TJ Wrangler 

You don't need anything on the threads, IMHO. BUT BUT BUT, MAKE SURE YOUR TORQUE WRENCH WORKS PROPERLY. 22 Ft/Lbs is what is required. IF you over tighten it, you can look forward to a minimum $ 1000 bill.

The only True Professional Mechanic in the Greater Toronto Area for Modified Jeeps, and trucks. If Rock Spyder hasn't seen it before, or done it before, you don't need it.

http://rockspyder4x4.com

http://koolkat4x4.org
TheHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
fsSnowboard
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't use anything on the threads when I recently did mine. I don't have any leaks currently. Just torque them to 14-21 foot lbs. I also used the Amsoil in mine.
fsSnowboard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeretic View Post
You don't need anything on the threads, IMHO. BUT BUT BUT, MAKE SURE YOUR TORQUE WRENCH WORKS PROPERLY. 22 Ft/Lbs is what is required. IF you over tighten it, you can look forward to a minimum $ 1000 bill.
Im aware of that I have seen the thread where the guy cracked his tcase. I was thinking of skipping the torque wrench and doing it to hand tight, but now that you say something, I might not skip it, Im just afraid the torque wrench wont be perfectly accurate and doing what that one guy did because of it.

Quote:
Unread 06-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
TheHeretic
Kool Kat 4x4

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidriver View Post
Im aware of that I have seen the thread where the guy cracked his tcase. I was thinking of skipping the torque wrench and doing it to hand tight, but now that you say something, I might not skip it, Im just afraid the torque wrench wont be perfectly accurate and doing what that one guy did because of it.
The GOOF who craked his Transmission case was ME! I use to go by the name "Beemerd".

IMHO, the best torque wrench to use is the ones with the needle that deflects. Do NOT use a torque wrench that works like a socket wrench, UNLESS it is of incredibly good quality, and you have a piece of paper certifying a torque wrench like that, so when it messes up and you over torque your drain bolt, you can sue THEM.

Seriously though, use a torque wrench. My little fiasco ended up costing me $4000, by the time the transmission was out, plus I had them change all the consumables in there, since it was already down.

Do not use tape. I'll tell you why: the tape, although very thin, will change the diameter of the bolt, it will be slight perhaps a couple thousanths of an inch, but that will effect your torque value. Did it come from the factory with tape on there? NOPE.

The only True Professional Mechanic in the Greater Toronto Area for Modified Jeeps, and trucks. If Rock Spyder hasn't seen it before, or done it before, you don't need it.

Unread 06-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #6
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I remember that thread like it was yesterday, how much did you end up getting for the cracked tranny? Do you think I could get away with hand tightening the plug with a 3/8 ratchet and tighten it to the same tightness as I do the motor oil on the engine? The torque wrench I have is a huge Snap On that has been used in the upper 75 lbs its whole life..

Quote:
Unread 06-01-2010, 08:31 PM   #7
TheHeretic
Kool Kat 4x4

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidriver View Post
I remember that thread like it was yesterday, how much did you end up getting for the cracked tranny? Do you think I could get away with hand tightening the plug with a 3/8 ratchet and tighten it to the same tightness as I do the motor oil on the engine? The torque wrench I have is a huge Snap On that has been used in the upper 75 lbs its whole life..
I didn't have to scrap it. The NSG 370 is modular, only the piece with the drain plug had to be replaced.

The Torque wrench I used was also of a high quality, and it spent most of its life at the 60 ~ 80 Ft/Lb range. It was very accurate, until you got below 60 Ft/Lbs, which I didn't know at the time of my "mishap". Spend $10 and get a needle deflection torque wrench. That would have saved me thousands.

Unread 06-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #8
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeretic View Post
I didn't have to scrap it. The NSG 370 is modular, only the piece with the drain plug had to be replaced.

The Torque wrench I used was also of a high quality, and it spent most of its life at the 60 ~ 80 Ft/Lb range. It was very accurate, until you got below 60 Ft/Lbs, which I didn't know at the time of my "mishap". Spend $10 and get a needle deflection torque wrench. That would have saved me thousands.
And where do I find one of those?

Quote:
Unread 06-01-2010, 08:56 PM   #9
TheHeretic
Kool Kat 4x4

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Torque Wrench, 1/2-in. | Canadian Tire

You can get these anywhere. Their cheap, but the advantage is that if the needle is not on zero when you start, then you can easily account for that. With a clicking torque wrench, you have no indication of how many pounds you are at, until it clicks. What if you don't hear, or feel the click? Oops.

Unread 07-12-2010, 11:04 PM   #10
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Got it done, very very impressed with the Amsoil

Quote:

Tags
maintenance , transmission fluid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.