about to buy some rock crawler rims - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > about to buy some rock crawler rims

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 05-28-2004, 10:44 AM   #1
joeyt17
2001 TJ Wrangler 

about to buy some rock crawler rims

I've been eyeing the black rock crawler rims for some time now. with 4wheelparts.com offereing free shipping, nows my time.

My question here...like most other relates to the back spacing.
I'm going to be putting on 31x10.5x15 BF Goodrich T/A KO on the rims and i was wonder which back spacing I should get for these

15x8" 5 on 4.5" w/ 3.75" backspacing

or

15x8" 5 on 4.5" w/4.5" backspacing

These are going to be put on a Daily driver 98 sahara i thought i would get some opinions before going ahead and ordering these rims

So any thoughts appreciated!!!

joeyt17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2004, 11:03 PM   #2
luisg

get 3.75 15x8's ...later you can use them for 32's or 33's
they look greta on 31's also..
luisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2004, 11:41 PM   #3
Sandibar

I would run the 4.5 BS. I currently run 31x10.5x15's with the stock Gambler 5.5 BS. It rubs at full turn (haven't bothered adding the washers yet). I do think that at 3.75 you'll stick out kind of far, and 4.5 would be plenty to avoid rubbing. As far as upgrades go, I just got my Spidertrax 1.25 spacers in the mail today, and this will bring me to 4.25 overall BS with the stock rims. 33's go on soon. I suspect I'll have to add washers to the steering stops to prevent all rubbing with a 12.5 wide tire, but all the 3.75 BS wheels I see stick out too far IMHO.
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2004, 11:41 AM   #4
wayoflife

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisg
get 3.75 15x8's ...later you can use them for 32's or 33's
they look greta on 31's also..
Actually, I'm running 32x11.50s on 15x8 Rock Crawlers with 4.5" of BS now.

In fact, I know a couple of guys running 35x12.50s with the same wheels and without any problems. Sure, at that size you'll have to add one or two washers to your steer stops to prevent rubbing of your lower control arms at a full turn but that's it. The biggest benefit to going with 4.5 BS is that more of your tire will stay under your fenders (in the case of a 31x10.50 - most all of it). This is very important especially if you live in a state that has fender laws like most do.

Click here to see my Tech 1 Rock Crawler Wheel Write-Up
wayoflife is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.