99 wrangler steering gearbox issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 99 wrangler steering gearbox issue

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 12-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
Cragg
1999 TJ Wrangler 

99 wrangler steering gearbox issue

The gearbox on my 99' wrangler sport has about an inch of play in the steering... Does any1 kno if this is an easy fix or not?

Cragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
UTWeezul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Are you sure it is the gearbox? Have you checked all the tie rod ends for play? I'd have someone get in the Jeep and rock the steering wheel back and forth while you lay under it and look for play in all the TREs first. Replaced them is easier and cheaper. Also make sure all the bolts are tight. This will cause play as well.
PSC full corners and modded 3" flares
4.56s, Aussie front and Detroit rear
Building a HP30...
UTWeezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

An inch of play where? Do you mean you can turn the steering wheel back & forth without the Pitman arm moving?

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Cragg
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yea i can turn the wheel to the left and the right about an inch without anything moving... i apoligize if im not being specific enough i dont kno to much about these things
Cragg is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.