99 Wrangler Sport with some rust - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 99 Wrangler Sport with some rust

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-05-2010, 08:24 AM   #1
bharkin

99 Wrangler Sport with some rust

I am looking at a 99 Wrangler, under the hood there is some rust on the the brake booster, brake lines, battery tray, etc. Is this a sign to stay away or not so bad?

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for the help!

bharkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
MAMMOTH
Wooly Member

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Is it surface rust or are things falling apart?
Lots of my older vehicles have a light coating of rust on things, but don't appear to be eaten away.
I'd make sure the frame and undercarriage aren't rotting away.
2007 JK Unlimited - The wife's ride.
MAMMOTH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
bharkin

I'm going over this afternoon to look at it, I found it online. From the pics I've seen, it looks good. I plan on a thorough inspection, but I have never owned a Jeep before and was just wondering if the amount and location of the rust on the engine was something to worry about.
bharkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 08:39 AM   #4
bairy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Looks somewhat normal to me.. (NY & OH)
bairy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 08:46 AM   #5
MAMMOTH
Wooly Member

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Went out and looked at my friends 97 and it has similar rust.
It wouldn't deter me from buying it.
2007 JK Unlimited - The wife's ride.
MAMMOTH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 08:52 AM   #6
Coop02x
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Like others have said, I would make sure the frame, tub, or other major components of the vehicle didn't have anything that was rusting through. Some surface rust isn't that big of a deal; you can just clean it up and put some paint on it.

If it has carpet, be sure to take a look up under it to make sure floor pans are in decent shape.

Good luck! Hope it works out for you!
Unread 08-05-2010, 08:56 AM   #7
herbiehind
1999 TJ Wrangler 

x2 the lines are easy replace . use a welders' pick or hammer on the frame and listen to the steel . if it sounds like a bell everywhere it's good it it goes to a different pitch and there is scale there then you gotta look closer and see how soft .
herbiehind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 09:29 AM   #8
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Its a sign its a real jeep LOL They ALL need the brake lines replaced because they rust badly. The local jeep dealer told me to buy a aftermarket kit because the replacement jeep lines will just rust again. I had to use buy the factory lines because i have ABS and no aftermarket company makes replacement lines.

I would check the frame VERY carefully, the 97 i bought had a bad frame and it was hard to see until I really checked it out. Looking for another jeep I checked the frames 1st and you would be suprised the low mileage jeeps i found with major frame damage.

The frames on these TJ's are fully inclosed along the center section. The HUGE INSANE holes in the sides of the frame allow dirt water salt etc into the frame but there are no drain holes to let it back out. SO after a while you can imagine the damage.

Look closely inside the large hole near the rear wheels on the side of the frame. If there is all kinds of rust and debris inside i'd stay away from it. My 97 was FULL of rusted metal from the inside of the frame....seems jeep didn't paint the inside!!!!!!!! or dip the frames for rust protection like you would expect.

PS ya know Toyota replaced the frames on low mileage trucks that had rust damage.
Nonya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
tj , wrangler , rust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.