99 Wrangler Front Suspension Repair - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 08-17-2017, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
mmitsch
1999 TJ Wrangler 

99 Wrangler Front Suspension Repair

We have a 99 Wrangler Sahara. We had it in getting some work done at a body shop and the guy there said that he noticed a click in the front end and suggested getting a "kit" to replace the various components in the front suspension system (i.e. - ball joints, tie-rod ends, etc.). I am not so familiar with this stuff but he said he's had success with these kits for other folks and suggested I we get one for the Jeep and he and the folks in his shop could put it in. Do any of you have suggestions on a good "kit" to get, where to buy, etc.?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-17-2017, 06:02 PM
aeroshots
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Really not enough information to answer about a "kit" to remove a click. My LJ has lots of clicks while exercising the range of suspension travel. I'd bring it to a front end shop for inspection if you are concerned.
post #3 of 22 Old 08-17-2017, 07:43 PM
MDTJ

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Also, filling in your profile will really help us help you. Is it lifted? How much? What lift? Lockers?

Good resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 Old 08-17-2017, 10:30 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

If the shop wants to install new parts, let them buy the parts...
post #5 of 22 Old 08-17-2017, 10:47 PM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would only replace the ball joints or tie rod ends of they are worn enough to need replacing.
A click could be anything.
post #6 of 22 Old 08-18-2017, 04:56 AM
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Do a dry steer test to see exactly what is clicking. I'm not a fan of throwing parts at a problem hoping to get lucky with one of them.
post #7 of 22 Old 08-18-2017, 06:41 AM
TheBoogieman
Dead Jeepers Club

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Find the click yourself, do the work yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
post #8 of 22 Old 08-18-2017, 07:14 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

It doesn't sound like the shop actually knows what is bad and wants to just replace everything. That's a good way to throw money at a problem and hope it goes away...

-
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #9 of 22 Old 09-02-2017, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
mmitsch
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_13 View Post
I would only replace the ball joints or tie rod ends of they are worn enough to need replacing.
I have an easy question. We got the Jeep to another shop to check out the front end and they said it needed new ball joints. The want $550 to replace. I really don't know much about suspension stuff, but that seems a lot. What do you think?
post #10 of 22 Old 09-02-2017, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
mmitsch
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Do you think these would be good?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Piece-Kit-...xZP5V8&vxp=mtr
post #11 of 22 Old 09-02-2017, 11:39 PM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would personally stick with Spicer ball joints.
You can rent a ball joint press tool for free from autozone and a few hours per side you are good to go for under$150 total.

Tie rod ends Moog, Napa, are generally fine.
post #12 of 22 Old 09-03-2017, 06:16 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitsch View Post
I have an easy question. We got the Jeep to another shop to check out the front end and they said it needed new ball joints. The want $550 to replace. I really don't know much about suspension stuff, but that seems a lot. What do you think?
Spicer parts are 150ish delivered. That leaves 400 for labor. A decent mechanic with the right tools should do one side in an hour. If you have any rust issues that have locked the unit bearing into the knuckle, ruined the unit bearing bolts etc., that time can easily double. I'd quote it as a 2.5 hour job after taking a peek to see how bad the rust is.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #13 of 22 Old 09-03-2017, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
mmitsch
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You can rent a ball joint press tool for free from autozone and a few hours per side you are good to go for under$150 total.

Thank you for the suggestion! Would you think these are the parts you are recommending for the Ball Joints?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BALL-JOINT-K...19.m1438.l2649

And, for the Tie Rod Ends does this look right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moog-ES3096L...m789WA&vxp=mtr

I was also wondering why there are 3 tie rod ends in the kit I had asked about. Thought I would just need driver & passenger.

Appreciate the help!!!
post #14 of 22 Old 09-03-2017, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
mmitsch
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Spicer parts are 150ish delivered. That leaves 400 for labor. A decent mechanic with the right tools should do one side in an hour. If you have any rust issues that have locked the unit bearing into the knuckle, ruined the unit bearing bolts etc., that time can easily double. I'd quote it as a 2.5 hour job after taking a peek to see how bad the rust is.
Thank you for the answer!

Do these look like the right Spicer ball joints?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BALL-JOINT-K...19.m1438.l2649

Trying to figure the tie rod ends out now. I got advice to use Moog parts for the those but there seem to be 3 of them other items.
post #15 of 22 Old 09-07-2017, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
mmitsch
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

We had the Jeep rechecked at a shop we trust and they said that the click we were hearing was caused but the following (their quote):

"As for the frontend, we found the following wrong, Stabilizer Cylinder, Track Arm and Universal Joint , We only quoted what was needing replacement. I know this vehicle is known for what people call the “Death Wobble” and to repair that it would require major over hauling of the frontend."

Do you have any suggestions for the type of Stabilizer Cylinder, Track are and Universal Joints (the said it needed L & R). And, does it make sense to get at the upper / lower ball joints while trying to get at the Universal Joints?

Parts they recommended were:

Stabilizer Cylinder NSSC2928.
Track Arm NCP2724194
Universal Joint (L & R) UJSUJ377

I do have some Spicer Upper Lower Ball Joints, kit 706944XX for the L & R already.

Anyway, I could use input / thoughts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.