99 TJ Turn Signals & Hazard Lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 99 TJ Turn Signals & Hazard Lights

ECGS JK Dana 60 Bolt In Rear DiffGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 06-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
shaunmfink

99 TJ Turn Signals & Hazard Lights

Before I start let me say I've just found this forum so please excuse any new post-er mistakes.

I've searched the FAQ and the forums, found similar issues but not quite the same.

So here it is .... I have a 99 and my turn signals & hazard lights are inconsistently working / not working. Here are the scenarios - I think its a connection or electrical issue somewhere (admittedly I don't know much about these types of things).

The left turn signal works consistently. Sometimes it blinks really fast, other times normal. But seems to consistently come on.

The right turn signal doesn't work.

The hazard lights are intermittent. Wiggling the hazard switch can make them come on if they are off and vice versa (not all the time, but sometimes).

Sometimes when I turn the hazard lights on, then off, the right turn signal will then work.

I've checked the fuses behind the glove box and they seem to be fine. Not sure what else to check - if there is anything I can do to provide more info let me know.

Appreciate any thoughts or feedback.

- SMF

shaunmfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2010, 11:07 AM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like your flasher relay might be bad.
Unread 06-28-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
shaunmfink

Thanks biffgnar - really appreciate the insight. Do you know any way to test or should I just pick one up and give it a shot? Also - is this something I can find at a local parts store (i.e. autozone) or a specialty shop?

- SMF
Unread 06-28-2010, 11:22 AM   #4
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You can get it at any parts store. No real test for it and the flasher shouldn't be that expensive. Give it a shot. If it doesn't work, come back and let us know. We will keep troubleshooting.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
TJaefick
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Could also be the multi switch in the steering column. If it is the flasher relay, they aren't expensive and most auto parts store have them. It's located under the dash and you can hear it clicking when the flashers are on (or turn signal if it's working).
Unread 06-28-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
shaunmfink

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate the insight. I'll pick up a flasher relay this afternoon and let you know how it goes.

- SMF
Unread 06-28-2010, 11:36 AM   #7
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The hazard lights are intermittent. Wiggling the hazard switch can make them come on if they are off and vice versa (not all the time, but sometimes).

X2 on the multi fuction switch not working right.
Cuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 02:59 PM   #8
shaunmfink

Can one of you all help me with which flasher relay I need - I found two versions. One has five terminals, another four. I read a little online and apparently the five terminal module is the newer version (so I assume better) - but not sure if the two modules are interchangeable?

Appreciate the help.

- SMF
Unread 07-02-2010, 01:15 AM   #9
TJaefick
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Four-pronged relays are 97-00. The 01's and up are five. Not sure about their interchangability, but I would assume you should go with the year of Jeep. Please fill out your profile.

Tags
turn signal , flasher , relay

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.