99 TJ leaking power steering fluid - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 99 TJ leaking power steering fluid

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 07-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
hijumper29
1999 TJ Wrangler 

99 TJ leaking power steering fluid

My 99 TJ leaks power steering fluid constantly. Is there a quick-fix that anyone knows of, or do I need to replace the power steering box?

Unread 07-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
PeteYJTJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Uh, not to be an arse, but it kinda depends on what's leaking, dude. Is it coming from the box? Pump? A rusted line?

That said, the steering box is a common leaking point. I just replaced my 99 box about a month ago.

Good luck
Pete
Unread 07-01-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
hijumper29
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure if it's leaking from the box, from the pump or from a rusted line...but i know that power steering fluid leaks are common in TJ's. any tips for identifying the exact source of the leak?
Unread 07-01-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
PeteYJTJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well, for me it was the box. The pump was dry, the lines looked dry, but the box was wet, and it dripped fluid off the pitman arm. I put new lines on anyway - they are only like $20 each.

Check the pump first. Check underneath the pump, feel under it. Check for oil on the pulley and belt. If those are wet, it could be your pump front seal. If the pump is dry, check the lines. Then if all that is dry, it would be the box I would guess.

How many miles on your Jeep? I've got 175K, and my pump was still dry. So, based on my highly technical analysis of 1 Jeep, I think the box leaks before the pump does.

Pete
Unread 07-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
bige2533
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My experience has been with a leaking pump. I followed the drip on the ground up to the pitman arm and then up along the lines that went into the box so I knew it was the pump or hoses. I found fluid all over the reservoir and pump so I replaced the pump. Find a good new/used Chrysler pump or go aftermarket. I wouldn't suggest going with a remanufactured unit from the parts stores. There's a great writeup on stu-offroad.com explaining the whole thing.

Tags
power steering box , leak , leaking , fix , repair , replace , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.