99 TJ - fast idle with AC on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 99 TJ - fast idle with AC on

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-29-2014, 01:50 PM   #1
gntl2000
1999 TJ Wrangler 

99 TJ - fast idle with AC on

I have 99 TJ Sport (4.0) with AC. I live in Florida so it's toasty right now. When I first start the engine, it idles and drives fine and continues to do so for about 10 minutes with the AC on. After a while, she'll start idling about 1300 RPM at a light with the AC on. If I turn the AC off, the idle will come down to about 800. It's just strange because sometimes if I leave the AC on, have it in first and start letting out the clutch like I was going to stall it - it will nearly stall. I push the clutch back in and it then might idle fine again for a while. I have fully cleaned the TB and IAC by removing them and really cleaning them out. I normally do this as routine maintenance. I'm thinking vacuum leak but I'm not sure. Any thoughts on where next to look?

gntl2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
JWebber
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Vac leak or throttle position sensor acting up. I had same problem replaced the TPS. When A/C is running the idle does go up a bit to comp for engine load etc..
But should not go that high.
JWebber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2014, 02:05 PM   #3
gntl2000
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I think I am going to try swapping out the TPS. I have checked extensively for vacuum leaks and didn't find any. I cleaned out the TB and IAC. I removed the IAC and completely cleaned it. She ran fine for about a week or two and now the intermittent fast idle is back. Should I go with MOPAR original TPS or is one from Advanced Auto Parts fine? What do you think?
gntl2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2014, 03:15 PM   #4
JWebber
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Mopar TPS. Also check the throttle body butterfly and see if it sticks or does not fully close. I used the wrong type of spray fluid once and it dried out my spindle bearings on the throttle body housing. So I bought the right stuff which is for throttle body cleaning and lube. FYI.
JWebber is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.