Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

99 TJ Cig Lighter and now Cluster lights out!

1K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  Jonny Jeep 
#1 ·
So I had the power to my cigarette lighter go out a while back and just have left it alone. Now my white lights don't come on for the instrument panel when I have the headlights on.

I checked the fuses in the glove box and under the hood and all appear to be ok??!!

#11 ·
The fuses all checked out ok today and the lights on my ac and heat under the radio are out too but the controls still work. I had melted wire issues before on the fan speed switch guess I gotta take it all apart to find out....

How do I test the cig lighter and did anyone know the fuse for the cig?

#3 ·
jerry hey which fuse under the hood? Cannot remember which one if for the cig lighter man!

the cluster is #10 behind the glove box I will try switching them out and see if there is any result from that.

Thanks for checking in!

#5 ·
Not sure about the cig lighter off hand.

If your cluster lights are out make sure the dimmer isn't turned all the way down first. That done check the front /rear marker lights are working. If they are off, check fuse 1 behind the glove box. If the marker lights are on, then in 97s fuse 12 behind the glove box would be next to check, not sure if that is still used in 99 models though. I'll check that when home this evening.

If you get that far without fixing it you'll be needing to check for voltage at fuses and switch.

#13 ·
Not sure about the cig lighter off hand.

If your cluster lights are out make sure the dimmer isn't turned all the way down first. That done check the front /rear marker lights are working. If they are off, check fuse 1 behind the glove box. If the marker lights are on, then in 97s fuse 12 behind the glove box would be next to check, not sure if that is still used in 99 models though. I'll check that when home this evening.

If you get that far without fixing it you'll be needing to check for voltage at fuses and switch.
where are the rear marker lights? just the turn signals? or another bulb somewhere?

#6 ·
If your parking lights are also inop then you're likely looking for a bad 10A fuse behind the glove box.

Cigar lighters are often on the same circuit at dome lights. Again, check fuses first. The relationship between the dome and lighter might be a bad rheostat (dome light dimmer). But look into that after you've verified fuses.

#7 ·
Just to confirm what I stated earlier... Fuse 1 supplies the headlamp switch for the marker lamps and dash illumination. If marker lights are out that has probably failed.

If marker light work the dimmer light circuit is fed from the headlamp switch via fuse 3 in 99s (not fuse 12 as with 97s).

If fuse 1 has blown it may have been due to a bulb failure in the front turn/markers and rear lamp assemblies.

#10 ·
I checked the fuses all seem to be OK I did notice that the lights on my heater air conditioner are not working either but the air works I have had electrical issues before with the switch on theheater fan so I'm wondering if sums going on behind there

#12 ·
Did you check to see if the marker lights are out, as I stated earlier?

The relay for the accessory socket switches power from fuse 5 (40A) in the PDC and this goes via fuse 19 (20A) behind the glove box. The relay is ignition switched and power to the relay coil is from fuse 3 under the hood. If wipers, turn signals and radio work fuse 3 is good.

#16 ·
my dash signals, parking brake light etc are working just not the gauges or the ac / heater fans.

Checked an the marker lights all work.....

Checked my headlight socket just replaced one and its fine.....

Still not working so gonna have to pull apart the dash when I get time.

#17 ·
Since the marker lights work we know the feed for the dash/cluster illumination is getting to the switch. Simple things first, check the headlamp switch is twisted to the full brightness position.

If the dash lamps are still off remove fuse 3 behind the glove box and use a multimeter to check for voltage at the fuse terminals. If you have voltage fit a new fuse and see what happens. (I'd incorrectly stated fuse 12 in post #7 - now corrected)

If you have no voltage at the fuse terminals the dimmer in the switch may have failed. To check that the headlamp switch will need unplugging and the continuity needs to be checked between pin 4 where the tan/black wire (12V from fuse 1) is and pin 1 where the tan wire is. If the switch plunger is inserted and twisted the resistance should change between those two pins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.