99 TJ Auto NV241 install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 99 TJ Auto NV241 install

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-16-2014, 12:19 PM   #1
tj_john

1999 TJ Wrangler 

99 TJ Auto NV241 install

I was never able to find any pics on mating a NV241 to a 32RH, so here's some shots of my install.

I swapped the old output seal for the extended Teraflex one and it appears to be holding fluid. I'm going to top off the ATF this weekend to make sure.

I used this post for help, but it looks like I won't have to cut the mounting plate due to the longer snout of the 32RH.

I'll update as things progress.

tj_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2014, 02:04 PM   #2
afreakydad
2002 TJ Wrangler 

When I did my 241 swap to my 32RH I used the same Teraflex seal. I tapped it all the way in and then found the shaft of the T/C only kissed the seal. Had to remove the rear section of the tranny so I could tap the seal back out some. That made it so the input shaft would slide into the seal. Short story... Measure twice. Tap seal in just far enough one time.

P.S. I recommend a deep pan for the tranny while you are under there. My tranny would slip on steep hills because the fuild would pull away from the pick-up. Has not done it since with the deep pan.
afreakydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2014, 07:14 PM   #3
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by afreakydad View Post
P.S. I recommend a deep pan for the tranny while you are under there. My tranny would slip on steep hills because the fuild would pull away from the pick-up. Has not done it since with the deep pan.
X2...

Unread 05-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #4
tj_john

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
When I did my 241 swap to my 32RH I used the same Teraflex seal. I tapped it all the way in and then found the shaft of the T/C only kissed the seal. Had to remove the rear section of the tranny so I could tap the seal back out some. That made it so the input shaft would slide into the seal. Short story... Measure twice. Tap seal in just far enough one time.
I now have a very slow seepage from the weep hole and mating surface. Whether I run the engine or not doesn't change it.

I purchased a novak cable shifter and was making adjustments which required me to cycle the transfer case selector quite a bit. The weep hole burped up three large drops of ATF during the tcase cycling.

I was hoping the seepage was a result of the residual ATF and would finish clearing itself.

So it looks like I'm dropping the tcase again and checking the seal distance.

Is there any other mating seal on the 241 I should check?

Any ideas before I drop it?

Thanks.
Unread 05-19-2014, 06:00 PM   #5
afreakydad
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Just the surface of the tranfer case to the rear of the transmission. I RTV'ed it just as a secondary seal.
Unread 05-19-2014, 06:43 PM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

One thing I learned when I was messing with my 241... the heavy steel tone wheel inside the tailshaft housing can slide back out of position when you remove the yoke. There is nothing really holding it up where it needs to be except for the rear yoke. And if it slides back, it can rotate out of position so its alignment slot is no longer over the alignment pin in the output shaft. Then when you tighten the yoke nut down, it shears or bends the pin and jams the tone wheel over the bent or broken pin.

So just be wary of that when the rear yoke is removed and replaced... make sure the tone wheel is seated properly in its forward-most position and properly rotated so its slot is positioned over the output shaft's positioning pin.
241-tone-wheel-ring.jpg

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2014, 09:06 AM   #7
tj_john

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I pulled the tcase and transmission adapter like afreakydad suggested (since I had already installed the adapter), tapped the extension out a hair, and replaced the seal itself with a Timken Transmission seal part# 710058 from AutoZone.

After running the engine for a moment and then engaging the transmission in reverse with the tcase in 2HI (no shafts attached) I had no leaks. I know the ATF is low, so I'm hoping that isn't what's preventing it from leaking.

I took everyone's advice and ordered the deep transmission pan and Lube Locker which should be in Thursday. I'll swap pans, add more ATF and hope it's a fix.

Thanks for the heads up on the 241 tone ring, Jerry. I'm hoping I don't have to pull the tcase apart, but I'll watch for it.

I'll keep the thread updated. Thanks everyone.

EDIT:
Also found that the Airtex 1S4219 didn't work on my 241. I ordered a Napa Transfer Case Select Switch, part # NOE6002939 since people said they had good luck with it.
Unread 05-20-2014, 10:42 AM   #8
afreakydad
2002 TJ Wrangler 

One step back and two steps forward
Unread 05-22-2014, 08:49 AM   #9
tj_john

1999 TJ Wrangler 

The Napa transfer case select switch worked great with the NV241. I now have working 4x4 indicator lights on the dash!

I took apart the rear drive shaft last night. I think it was the combination of being tired, crouching down for three hours, and fighting to get the u-joints lined up, but new and creative profanity was used multiple times. Hopefully I can get the driveshaft cleaned up tonight and install the new centering ball/flange and u-joints from Tom Woods.

The new deep transmission pan comes in today, so that will probably be Friday's install.
Unread 05-23-2014, 09:52 AM   #10
tj_john

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm (sorta, but never really) finished!!!

I was able to get off work early and brown santa had dropped off my deep pan and lube locker. Got that swapped out and changed the fluid in the 241 while I was making a mess. I thought I'd need 1" tcase drops to fit the 241, but the skid plate bolted up without needing them (no body lift, either... go figure).

After fighting with the u-joint tool that wouldn't drive straight, I have a rebuilt rear drive shaft as well. Bolted everything up and I'm ready to start adjusting the Currie arms. I had a celebratory Franconia Kolsch and a cigar while I admired my work.

I'll post pics when I get back home. Thanks again for everyone's help.
Unread 06-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #11
tj_john

1999 TJ Wrangler 

After putting the skid back on I fought with some pretty heavy leaks between the tcase and transmission for about another week. I finally threw in the DIY towel and went to Baertrax here in DFW. They tried adjusting the extended seal several times and didn't meet with any success. They finally found that even the TeraFlex seal wasn't long enough and had to machine a new one for me. Since then it's been leak free and working great.

Here's a shot of the difference in length needed:

Unread 06-17-2014, 12:27 PM   #12
afreakydad
2002 TJ Wrangler 

You did right by having a new sleeve made. That's what I will do if it becomes a issue in the future. Send that pic. and your findings along to Teraflex. I think they need to check their math. Or maybe they need different size sleeves for different trannys?
Enjoy your new crawl ratio.
Unread 06-19-2014, 11:53 AM   #13
tj_john

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You did right by having a new sleeve made. That's what I will do if it becomes a issue in the future. Send that pic. and your findings along to Teraflex. I think they need to check their math. Or maybe they need different size sleeves for different trannys?
Yeah, I thought it would work for all the autos, but maybe it's only for the newer ones. I did have the transmission rebuilt, but I don't think that would have been an issue. At this point I'm just stoked to have a dry garage floor!

Quote:
Enjoy your new crawl ratio.
Thanks! Appreciate the help. That 4-1 is wicked. I have a hard time holding it with the brakes. Can't wait to try it out.
Unread 06-19-2014, 12:55 PM   #14
afreakydad
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! Appreciate the help. That 4-1 is wicked. I have a hard time holding it with the brakes. Can't wait to try it out. [/QUOTE]

I was building axles at the same time and added disk brakes to the back just because of that.
The first time I put it in low was eye opening. I was in 3rd gear in about .6 seconds.
Unread 06-19-2014, 01:02 PM   #15
Hosejockey61
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_john View Post
The Napa transfer case select switch worked great with the NV241. I now have working 4x4 indicator lights on the dash!

I took apart the rear drive shaft last night. I think it was the combination of being tired, crouching down for three hours, and fighting to get the u-joints lined up, but new and creative profanity was used multiple times. Hopefully I can get the driveshaft cleaned up tonight and install the new centering ball/flange and u-joints from Tom Woods.

The new deep transmission pan comes in today, so that will probably be Friday's install.
Part number on that t-case switch?
Hosejockey61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.