99 TJ 4cyl auto will not start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 99 TJ 4cyl auto will not start

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 07-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
robob280
1999 TJ Wrangler 

99 TJ 4cyl auto will not start

Here's the deal... engine stalled as I was driving and when I restarted the jeep had a loud clicking noise that sped up when I accelerated. Drove it and then parked it, drove it again and stalled a quarter mile later and couldn't restart it.

Pulled the timing chain cover off and there was a plastic guide that was in two pieces. Belt was loose so it did need replacing. Sealed the cover and new belt up, still wouldn't start. From then on replaced distributer, rotor, plugs, wires, and camshaft position sensor. Gets the exhaust to pop a little more and still no start.

Compression is fine, signs pointed to the crankshaft position sensor, when I pulled the old one it had a round disc of metal stuck to it, any ideas on that piece of metal? When I put the new senor in, it would still not start. Both my dad and I are stumped. We can't see anything that it could be in the FSM either. Any help or similar situation help would be great, let me know if you want any more info to help determine the issue.

Rob

robob280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
robob280
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Help please!!!!! Totally clueless!
Unread 07-07-2011, 07:35 AM   #3
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

How loose was your timing chain? Is is possible that it jumped a tooth and now your timing is off? I kind of doubt it, but who knows...
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2011, 08:10 AM   #4
robob280
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geiman View Post
How loose was your timing chain? Is is possible that it jumped a tooth and now your timing is off? I kind of doubt it, but who knows...
Well we had guessed it jumped time, but we believe the timing is ok now that we've replaced the chain. We are trying to determine what the small round almost dime size piece of metal was that was attatched to the cks
Unread 07-08-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

bump for a very confusing situation we're encountering

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/ri-jeeps/[/url]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #435[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
g4x4xgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
bigred33
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Getting spark? Ignition coil?
bigred33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
crankshaft , start problems , won't start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.