98 Wrangler I6 Engine Stutter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 98 Wrangler I6 Engine Stutter

Ruffstuff 10 year saleBDS 4-1/2" Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep Wrangler YJRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-04-2015, 12:27 PM   #1
ElChavo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

98 Wrangler I6 Engine Stutter

Hello all,

This is my first post, so please forgive me if this post should be in a different forum & my noobness. I have a manual 98 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 with low mileage (91K). About two weeks ago I've noticed that my engine is stuttering during acceleration. It doesn't matter what gear I'm in, or the engine temperature. It'll feel like it's not getting any gas & then suddenly surge forward. When idle, sometimes the engine idles a little roughly, sputter a little & then - again - surge like I'd put pressure on the pedal when in fact I haven't. I've researched the symptoms throughout many forums & I'm torn between the O2 sensor, Throttle Position Sensor, OR the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Here's the kicker....A few days ago, I took it to Autozone to do a code reading & it read a P0320 error which people say is the CPS, but Autozone couldn't match that particular code to a Jeep - It only matched to a Kia believe it or not. There's no check engine light, nor has one ever lit up, and I just gave it a tune up (Plugs, wires, cap & rotor) a week ago in hopes that it would fix the stuttering problem, but it didn't. Can anyone point me in the right direction in which sensor it may, or may not be? Also which out of the three would be the easiest/most difficult to test or replace? I greatly appreciate any advice I can get. Thank you all so much.

ElChavo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2015, 01:24 PM   #2
Raist11

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Doing a quick search on "Jeep TJ p0320" results in a lot of information about Crankshaft Position Sensor. I would bet that's probably your problem then.
Unread 10-04-2015, 02:38 PM   #3
ElChavo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you very much. I searched online when I got home form Autozone that day, but I was confused on why Autozone's computer wouldn't match the P0320 code to a Jeep specifically, as I said it matched to a Kia. Then I read many posts on the CPS, and my problems didn't seem to quite match up - hence me posting on this forum. But I will take your advice & start with testing my CPS. I'm not incredibly mechanically inclined, but I can learn.
Unread 10-04-2015, 06:56 PM   #4
Raist11

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChavo View Post
Thank you very much. I searched online when I got home form Autozone that day, but I was confused on why Autozone's computer wouldn't match the P0320 code to a Jeep specifically, as I said it matched to a Kia. Then I read many posts on the CPS, and my problems didn't seem to quite match up - hence me posting on this forum. But I will take your advice & start with testing my CPS. I'm not incredibly mechanically inclined, but I can learn.
Probably the same reason that PartSource here in Canada couldn't figure out how to test my old Ford alternator.. It's Autozone..
Unread 10-04-2015, 08:32 PM   #5
alwaysBroke85
2001 TJ Wrangler 

x2 on autozoners technical abilities, not saying they are all bad..... ive had some bad experiences with them as well, im no mechanic either.. but id go with what these guys say on here. They know their stuff.
Unread 10-05-2015, 07:19 AM   #6
ElChavo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Regarding Autozone...I had the same mindset as pretty much everyone else does. They can be great IF they can help you, but the advice on these forums are much better & in depth, and I'm truly grateful to be a part of it. I'll be tinkering with the CPS in the next couple of days & keeping my fingers crossed that it's not the PCM that needs replacing.
Unread 10-05-2015, 08:29 AM   #7
surffisher2A
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Don't get stuck on that code either, it could be a couple of things and you might have multiple problems, could be a blocked CAT, Fuel pump and etc. The code is just a starting place to look, it may or may not solve your issue.
surffisher2A is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.