98 tj wont start everytime - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 98 tj wont start everytime

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 10-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
BCal98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

98 tj wont start everytime

I have a 98 4.0 sport with a manual transmission. When I turn the key all the dash lights come on but the engine doesn't even try to turn over. I have found that turning the key all the way back to the accessory spot and trying again it will work. Most of the time it starts with no issues. It has a new battery and I also put a fuse in the spot for a automatic transmission thinking it might be the clutch safety switch. Help!!

BCal98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
tealo951
1998 TJ Wrangler 

This is happening to mine as well. I haven't tried gong from acc to on yet.

I jus had my starter tested. It passed. and the battery is showing healthy voltage.

I'm not sure where the clutch safety switch even is located to investigate. Any help would be hot.
Unread 01-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
BCal98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't had any problems in a while. If I remember correctly once I put in the fuse into the automatic transmission slot it quit messing up.
BCal98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
GunmetalX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Does it work *every* time you go to ACC and then Start?

If so, I wonder if it could be that your ignition switch is starting to go?

I haven't had this problem but I remember seeing some similar threads a few months ago, I believe you can get a cheap fix from Dorco, or at least the actuator pin.

Check out this thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/tj-i...oes-13807.html

IIRC dealer will try to sell you an entire steering column.
GunmetalX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
GunmetalX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry, didn't realize the OP was old. Maybe it will still help tealo951 or someone though.
Unread 01-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
GunmetalX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

One other thing -- don't rely 100% upon the in-store "starter testing." My original starter passed tests at both AutoZone and Advance Auto, even though it was going bad and was causing intermittent issues. You can see my thread here for details. 1998 TJ intermittent starting problems - JeepForum.com

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.