98 Tj surging when cold - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 98 Tj surging when cold

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-05-2010, 05:37 AM   #1
Odiwh

98 Tj surging when cold

Hey guys I have a 98 Tj 4.0 with an automatic transmission. About a month ago it starting surging while I drive when the vehicle is cold. I will have the pedal pressed and rpm's at about 3000 and it will suddenly drop to 1000 then pick back up and drop again. It does this for about 15-20 seconds then usually stops. It also will stall at a stop light or stop sign every so often. Once warmed up it seems to run fine. I have replaced plugs,cap,wires,router, IAC and throttle body position sensor and it's still doing it. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Has anyone seen this before?

Odiwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 07:32 AM   #2
Odiwh

Also, when the rpm's fluxuate there is a clicking noise coming from the front axle is sounds like, not sure if this is related to the problem
Unread 08-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #3
Odiwh

Bump
Unread 08-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
AlphaTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Check the upstream O2 sensor.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/cu...bad-o2-723569/

Also for good measure, clean the battery posts and terminals. That corrosion created some weird gremlins with my 98.
AlphaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 05:12 PM   #5
SnatchBlock
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just had the exact same symtoms from my 99tj. Replaced the up stream o2 sensor and it is fine now.
SnatchBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 05:35 AM   #6
Odiwh

The thread Alphatj directed me 2, the guy said he notices it's worse after the jeeps warm and he has to restart it. Once my tj warms up I never have a problem till it sits and gets cold again. Also it kinda feels like a misfire or it's have trouble getting fuel. I will try upstream o2 sensor though.
Unread 08-06-2010, 11:56 AM   #7
AlphaTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odiwh View Post
The thread Alphatj directed me 2, the guy said he notices it's worse after the jeeps warm and he has to restart it. Once my tj warms up I never have a problem till it sits and gets cold again. Also it kinda feels like a misfire or it's have trouble getting fuel. I will try upstream o2 sensor though.
I included that link because Jonny Jeep gives a way to check the sensor, didn't clarify that in the original post. If you have replaced all of that other stuff, it could be worth checking out.
AlphaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
PAFirefighter11
Quadratec Live Chat Rep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odiwh View Post
Did you replace your upstream o2?
-The statements in this message do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Quadratec, Inc.

-98 ZJ Limited 5.9L - 4.5" lift, 32" Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Tomken rocker guards, D44 rear, 3.73's, LSD, 4xDoctor D30 guard, custom projector HID headlights, custom intake, LED lightbar, underdrive pulley, trans vent tube - Wheeler/Bad Weather Rig
-98 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS7 - 5.7L LS1, 6 speed, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster cat back, Pioneer system - Summer Cruiser
-01 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6 - Toy
-03 VW Golf TDI (Diesel) - Commuter
-Former Jeeps: XJ, YJ, XJ, YJ, TJ, ZJ, ZJ
-Rick Rotondo Photography - Nikon D2x, lots of glass, lighting, tri & monopods, and other gear
-FDNY 9/11/01 - All gave some. Some gave all.
PAFirefighter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #9
Halverson
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Might seem obvious but check the tranny fluid. Lurching when cold happens on my TJ when its low.
Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tj , wrangler , sputtering , rough idle , surging

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.