98 TJ SE fog light harness issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 98 TJ SE fog light harness issue

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-19-2011, 05:41 AM   #1
StephenHCable

98 TJ SE fog light harness issue

I have a 1998 TJ that is hard wired already for factory fog lights. The only thing I thought was missing was the switch. The wiring to the switch is in the dash behind the blank. (I know the all have this.) The wiring then goes to the fuse box behind the glove compartment where it is wired on both sides with the factory 10 mini fuse in it. It then goes right above the fuse box to the 2 factory mounted fog light relays and back into the wiring harness.

However outside the vehicle I can not find the factory fog light plug-in anywhere. I have looked under both fenders and still no avail. Can someone show me a pic of where it should be and better yet a pic of where the factory harness connects it outside the vehicle.

I fear it may all be wired up except not have the correct headlight/fog light wiring harness from the main connector which I believe is located on the drivers side under the brake fluid reservoir.

Thanks, Stephen.

StephenHCable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 02:17 AM   #2
StephenHCable

Ill just go ahead and BUMP!

Seriously though, I went ahead and ordered a factory switch yesterday. When I get it, Ill go ahead and plug it in and if it lights up the toggle then I will go ahead and post some pics relating to the entire situation. If it is just my headlight harness that does not have them and I would need to find an entire other one I think I will just try to "tap" into the wire right after it leaves the relays.

Any additional thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated.
Stephen.
Unread 07-23-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
StephenHCable

New switch!!

Update!! I received the switch today! I plugged it in and it works perfectly. You can even hear the relays kick with it being switched on and off. Here are some pics to show you the whole issue.

Issue is I still cannot find the wires to tap into in under the hood. Does anyone know what color the wires are?

Stephen.
Unread 07-24-2011, 05:03 AM   #4
StephenHCable

Never mind. I picked up a Haynes repair manual and found the wire on the main harness. I was exactly as I thought. My fog light set up was run from factory to the main harness connector but not to the headlight harness. I have some pics that I am going to use some paint shop to show exactly what wire you need and where it is located for others in my same situation.
Stephen.
Unread 07-24-2011, 07:14 AM   #5
StephenHCable

Here are some pics to show exactly what wire you need and where it is located for others in my same situation. I am going to pic up a splice connector and finish the job this week. Ill post the final pics then.

Stephen.
Unread 09-04-2011, 11:26 AM   #6
2003bmw650
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Factory fog main harness missing

Did you ever get this to work - looks like you were close. I'm going to go see if I can find pin 13 too. I have the switch for the fogs not installed, looks as if the fuses are already there too - 99 TJ.

Good pics though.
2003bmw650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #7
SurlyBob
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My 99 TJ has the factory fog lights and there is a wiring harness connection setup for the fogs out front. Let me know if you need pictures. Trouble I'm having is that I've got something wrong. My fogs quit working years ago and I've never had the time to diagnose the problem. They never worked right. Took it to the dealer once and after fiddling around, they couldln't find the problem but the fogs started working after fiddling with the wires and testing. Must be a bad connection or something for me to find.
SurlyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #8
StephenHCable

Everything worked out excellent. I spliced into the back side of the harness without cutting the wire in 2 that way if something went wrong I could repair it to normal. It works perfect. I don't have any new pictures at this time but I will get some on here in a couple days when the rain stops. It's been a little over a month and everything has worked flawless. Good luck.
Stephen.
Unread 09-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #9
2003bmw650
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Your post helped my install!

I installed my 99 Tj with the fog light switch and then the relay, battery connections for the fog lights using the terminal wire you show pictured as the relay trigger wire. My set up works great - just need the fog lights now. I tested the output from the relay and bingo - 12v where it should be. I'm looking at a pair of Delta's - made in the USA. Just like the sylvania silverstars I just put in too.

Quite happy, I love this forum.
2003bmw650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 10:11 PM   #10
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Let me know when you get a chance for some more pics.
I too am trying to do this but, am not sure what you mean when you say "spliced into the back of the harness without cutting the wire in two"?? I have found the harness, have the switch and lights. Also did you have to put a fuse in the fuse box, or was one already there?
Thanks Oak
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 08:05 PM   #11
SevenT6Vet
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Bump! I just bought a 97 wrangler that doesn't have foglights. I'm looking to do the same.

I called a local salvage yard, and they said they could get me the OEM lights and switch and "wiring". Is this going to be plug-n-play or will involve some splicing? I read in another thread that 97-98's may have fog wiring installed on non-factory fog cars....??
SevenT6Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #12
PWMjeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Connector Location and pictures

Stephen, I am in the same boat as you were. I am lost though as to where this harness connector is that you are showing where you tied into. Can you help another Jeeper out? Pictures and a description of where this is.
Thanks, Patrick
PWMjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oem , tj , wiring fog lights

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.