Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

98 TJ Radiator issues

854 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Knuckelhead 
#1 ·
I just recently purchased a 98 TJ with the 2.5l, I replaced the old radiator with a new aluminum one.I have 2 issues. first the bottom hose at the radiator has a small leak when its running. When I first replaced it I used the old factory hose clamp and the leak was much more noticeable., I replaced it with a regular hose clamp and the leak has slow down. The second issue, since installing the new radiator I have anti freeze coming out of a small rubber line coming out of the passenger firewall toward the bottom., I'm thinking this line may have something to do the with the heater (it does not work) the line must have run to something at one time but has been cut off. I'll download a picture of the line within the next couple of days. This my first jeep and first post any suggestions are greatly appreciated

#3 ·
Are the heater hoses still on? Might be a leaky heater hose. It will leak and run down firewall. Did you install new radiator hoses when you put in new radiator? Should if you haven't. If money is tight try rockauto web site. Should be able to get new hoses with shipping for $25.

#6 ·
The second issue, since installing the new radiator I have anti freeze coming out of a small rubber line coming out of the passenger firewall toward the bottom., I'm thinking this line may have something to do the with the heater (it does not work) the line must have run to something at one time but has been cut off.
That sounds like a leaking heater core...
Not sure a heater core hose would be cut off and hanging down on the passenger side. If it was, I think it would be doing more than just dripping?

#9 ·
I have anti freeze coming out of a small rubber line coming out of the passenger firewall toward the bottom., I'm thinking this line may have something to do the with the heater (it does not work) the line must have run to something at one time but has been cut off. I'll download a picture of the line within the next couple of days. This my first jeep and first post any suggestions are greatly appreciated
The "leak" from the hose at the bottom of the passenger-side firewall is the a/c condensation drip tube. It'll drip whenever the a/c compressor is running which runs in the Defrost mode too, not just on the A/C setting.
That sounds like a leaking heater core...
Not sure a heater core hose would be cut off and hanging down on the passenger side. If it was, I think it would be doing more than just dripping?
HVAC drain tube which will indicate a heater core leak when it drips antifreeze.
I had a mechanic look at it today and its the heater core leaking, he wants $800 to fix it, I believe I'm going to do a bypass on it for now, I live in Florida so I don't have a lot of use for a heater. Thanks to everyone for the help.
... :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.