98 TJ Hell-Sputter *tried many things - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-21-2012, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
WranglerLZ

98 TJ Hell-Sputter *tried many things

Hey guys,
I just joined the forum (something i wanted to do for a while) but my current problem has made it more urgent.

Scenario: I have a 98 TJ 4 Cyl Manual. As many people are aware they have a sputtering problem. My specifically started a while ago when I become a little stuck in a river. (no worries fellow jeepers help me out). When it started back up it sputter for about an hour and then was fine. I assumed something was just wet and dried off.

That was about 5 months ago. Never heard it again until yesterday. It's not humid out here in Illinois and wasn't raining. It sputter immediately at starting. The sputtering gets worse when it is in gear but is weirdly on and off. Low RPS sputters, around 2000-2500 drives fine, then if you get on the gas it sputters again.

I started with the basic fixes. Started by running some Seafoam through by pouring it in the gas tank to clean the injectors. Then replaced the spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor and all the cables. Then i unplug the o2 sensor on the exhaust before the cat......Still no change. I even pulled the 4th cylinder while running to see if it was getting power and it defiantly is (shocked myself). I took it to autozone and all they were able to tell me was it was defiantly the 4th cylinder misfiring.

Any more ideas why this sputtering stays!?!?! Sorry for the long post but I want to make sure my situation is clear. First one to solve my problem gets a big thumbs up!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-21-2012, 09:35 PM
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

#4 injector?

Stu Olson
ARB Locked & Loaded

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-21-2012, 09:54 PM
PlaneJob
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Conjugate your verbs.

post #4 of 9 Old 02-23-2012, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
WranglerLZ

Hey sorry bout the verb-age but i replaced the forth injector and it wasn't it. Any other ideas?
post #5 of 9 Old 02-23-2012, 11:49 PM
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Did you check your distributor cap, rotor and as above your timing/distributor?
Just cause you got shocked does not mean the plug is good and firing correctly.

"Never look down on anyone unless your helping them up"- Jesse Jackson
post #6 of 9 Old 02-27-2012, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
WranglerLZ

Il check that. Someone suggested that the seafoam possibly cleaned the gas tank and cause all the debris in there to clog fuel filter?
post #7 of 9 Old 02-27-2012, 03:51 PM
Dice48
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WranglerLZ View Post
Il check that. Someone suggested that the seafoam possibly cleaned the gas tank and cause all the debris in there to clog fuel filter?
THen you would be having a problem on all cylinders not just four. Try spraying the plug wires with soapy water. Could be a rip in the insulation.

KCCO
post #8 of 9 Old 02-27-2012, 09:10 PM
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WranglerLZ View Post
To verify check the fuel pressure. But if it were, it would likely be multiple cylinders as mentioned.

"Never look down on anyone unless your helping them up"- Jesse Jackson
post #9 of 9 Old 04-04-2012, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
WranglerLZ

Well i broke down and took it in before i spent any more money. Appartently i put in some sub-par spark plugs and actually fried one within the first day! They replaced the plugs again and now it runs fine

Tags
sputtering , sputters , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.