98 TJ Full door seals/WS replacement advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 98 TJ Full door seals/WS replacement advice

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 02-10-2015, 06:17 PM   #1
sgramer
1998 TJ Wrangler 

98 TJ Full door seals/WS replacement advice

I have a 98 TJ that I need to replace the door seals on, and I am lucky enough to have the plastic channels still on the doors. I know you can only get the updated seal design with the clips that hold it vs. the channel. None of the seals come with a template for the addition holes that need to be drilled for the clips. Does any know where I would be able to acquire a template, if maybe the clips line up with the holes the channel uses, or a good accurate method to mark and drill.

Thanks,
Scott

sgramer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2015, 07:41 PM   #2
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I ran into this when I got a set of 98 half doors for my 02. I had never seen the channels before and found out the channels was only used for the 98 models.

Anyway, I pulled the channels off, got some clips from NAPA, put them into the hollow of the seal. Worked them to about 8-10 inches apart. Then drilled matching holes around the body of the door.
Unread 02-10-2015, 08:24 PM   #3
sgramer
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Did any of the holes on the seal line up with the stock channel holes ? The reason I ask is it need a starting and ending point, I would think, and a way to keep it taunt.
You were able to use the seal as the template ? Did you leave it on and drill through the hole for the clip; or mark it, move it and drill.
BTW how many holes did you need to drill ?
Unread 02-11-2015, 03:58 AM   #4
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have new seals for my doors. I've fitted one and removed it, purely because I want to creases in the seal to relax so it doesn't kink where the folds and twists were due to packing. I had water getting past the seal where the kink was. Both my new seals are lying on a spare bed and seem to have taken their normal shape in the warmth of the house.

I have the channels on my 97 and the seal seats fine in them. There are only two clips that line up with holes in the doors. Those clips are near level with the outer door handle. The two clips that fit have another clip between them that had to be removed as there is no hole in the door. I think my seals are Metro brand. Quite a bit different to the design of my 97 seals but I think they should seal better if the kink settles out properly.
Unread 02-11-2015, 11:16 PM   #5
sgramer
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Did you pull out all the clips that were supposed to line the bottom portion and use the stock/existing channel ?
Were you able to fit it in the channel so it would not fall or sag
Unread 02-12-2015, 03:14 AM   #6
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Only the two clips near the outer door handle were left in the seal, the rest were removed and the seal fitted fine in the channels with no sagging.
Unread 02-12-2015, 06:34 PM   #7
sgramer
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Judging by the part number I think the ones I ordered were made by crown. I hope I get lucky and the fit the channel correctly/snugly with no snagging. Sounds like you got lucky, hope I do too.
I would prefer to not do any drilling. I will set them out in my house when received so they can straighten, decompress, etc. thanks.
Unread 03-03-2015, 09:44 PM   #8
sgramer
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Has any one used the OEM Jeep seals ? The after market ones I got leak worse than the 15 year old stockers. BTW mine fit in the channels perfectly as well. It just seemed the entire seal did not have enough material to seal well enough.
It looks like I am going to be buy OEM ones.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.