'98 TJ decided to quit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > '98 TJ decided to quit

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 09-12-2014, 03:16 PM   #1
BRose1133
1998 TJ Wrangler 

'98 TJ decided to quit

Hello Jeep pros. After coming of the interstate, my Tj started to sputter and backfire at lower rpm's. As I increased rpm's it would smooth out. But problem continued as I gave it gas and I barley got home by keeping rpm's above 2000. After it sat for a while it will not start at all. What gives & any suggestions??
Thanks for a 1st time poster..

BRose1133 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2014, 05:54 PM   #2
onemorejeep01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Have you checked anything yet? Plugs, wires, cap, ect? Welcome to JF btw
Unread 09-13-2014, 09:02 PM   #3
saxart
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My Jeep will run like that if the battery is low or dead. I'd start there with the easy stuff first

'99 Wrangler Sport: 2.5" Old Man Emo lift and shocks, adjustable trackbars, Quick-Disko sway links, rollin on 31" BFG A/Ts
saxart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2014, 07:58 AM   #4
Warhound
1997 TJ Wrangler 

does it crank but not start?
Warhound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2014, 02:01 PM   #5
BRose1133
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Does crank, but not start.

Thanks for the replies to my question. Like I stated it was running, now it's not. I have been able to determine that it Is getting fuel. So I assume it's a firing issue. I have checked all connections & all seem to be correct. After it sat for a week it Almost did fire. But not quite. Where should I start my next level of troubleshooting?
Thanks again,
BR w/ a '98 TJ

btw, should all of this be part of a Forum or is a Thread the correct approach?
Unread 09-24-2014, 02:21 PM   #6
Oldjeepman
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Get your battery tested..mine did this ran fine to the store then would not start until jumped then have to rev it to get home,would not idle...replaced the battery ..
Oldjeepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2014, 10:06 PM   #7
BRose1133
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, here is an update. I tried by replacing the CPS. Still no spark, so no start. Checked all spark plugs and connections. Battery in good shape. Any suggestions for next steps?
Thanks...
Unread 09-26-2014, 01:08 PM   #8
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

What made you decide to replace the CPS, and was it replaced with an OEM unit? How did you determine you have no spark? How did you determine the battery is in good shape?

You have to understand, for 1/2 the posts on here we are dealing with people convinced it isn't this thing or that thing but have done no actual diagnosing to prove that out. Then it turns out to be the thing that had arbitrarily ruled out. I'm not saying that's you, but we can't really know that.

It helps if you let us now what you actually did, rather than what your conclusions are with no detail as to how you arrived at those conclusions. Or, at least let us know your experience so we can have confidence those conclusions are sound.
JStMarie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2014, 01:50 PM   #9
Jeepsr4me

Any codes? that would be my 1st step to not wasting money parts changing
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.