98 TJ cracked header - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 98 TJ cracked header

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-23-2006, 10:30 AM   #1
tjaggie

98 TJ cracked header

I own a 98 and my header has cracked. Does anyone know if I can JB weld it to get by for a while until I have the cash to buy a new header. The one I want is the Banks header. Is that the best I can get or does anyone else recommend something different. Also how difficult it is to remove and install the new header. Any help would be appreciated.

tjaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2006, 10:33 AM   #2
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Its not that difficult of a job.

I wouldn't waste your time with the JB Weld. It will not hold up.

Also, I wouldn't recommend a Banks header. They have cracking problems too.

For your best chance at preventing the same problem in the future, go with a replacement header that has expansion joints. Like the one advertised at the top of the page here.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2006, 12:08 PM   #3
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ
Its not that difficult of a job.

I wouldn't waste your time with the JB Weld. It will not hold up.

Also, I wouldn't recommend a Banks header. They have cracking problems too.

For your best chance at preventing the same problem in the future, go with a replacement header that has expansion joints. Like the one advertised at the top of the page here.
I agree. That's the one I bought. It's been over a year and it's fine.
Unread 05-30-2006, 12:08 PM   #4
eR1c

I just replaced my cracked exhaust manifold on my '97 TJ with a header from pace-setter (it was $200 for the new header).

In my opinion there is no need to spend $500+ on a Borla exhaust. In fact (in my opinion) there is no need to purchase a chrome/polished exhaust for an extra several hundred dollars when the black headers (most companies sell a plain black version) are the same design and function just as good as chrome/polished headers. Also on our jeeps you can't even see the header, it's obstructed from nearly every angle you look at it. -Go for function it will be less $$ than the chrome/polished headers.

Install,
-It took me 6 hours to install my header on my '97 tj. the install would have taken about 4 hours had I been given a few tips (which I'll give to you)!

Here is the install process:

1st photo shows the stock 97 tj engine
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2006, 12:09 PM   #5
eR1c

I began by removing the air intake tube, disconnecting many of the electrical connections, the fuel injector electrical connections, and loosening the power steering pump from the intake manifold.

Unread 05-30-2006, 12:12 PM   #6
eR1c

I even removed some of the smog emmisions stuff (see in the lower right corner).
The manifold is now ready for me to begin loosening the bolts.

To get to this point took me about 2 hours. (i took my time and went slowly paying attention to where each part i removed goes for when I put them back).

Unread 05-30-2006, 12:14 PM   #7
eR1c

I removed all the intake manifold bolts, the manifold is now free to allow the exhaust manifold to come out. The intake manifold is still connected by some wiring which I did not feel comfortable removing... but it was free enough that I could move it enough to get the exhaust manifold out.
Unread 05-30-2006, 12:16 PM   #8
eR1c

the old manifold is out and laying side by side with the new header. Notice the design differences.

It took me about 4 hours to get to this point.
(one hour was spent trying to figure out how to remove the bolts from the outlet of the stock exhaust manifold. I realized after an hour that the bolt heads were welded at the factory to the stock manifold... (see the bolts on the stock manifold in the picture below). ...all I had to do was loosent the nuts and the stock exhaust was free).

Unread 05-30-2006, 12:17 PM   #9
eR1c

check out that crack!! it went all the way around the exhaust pipe... what a horrible exhaust manifold they gave us!!!

...and the back side

Unread 05-30-2006, 12:22 PM   #10
eR1c

after cleaning the head where the old gasket was (with some light sand paper) I put a new gasket on the head (not shown in this photos) and wiggled the new header into position. This wiggle process took about 45 minutes and would have only taken 15 minutes had I had a partner to hold the intake manifold up while I positioned the new header... however I had to do this alone and balane both parts.. one in each hand!

..after this I tightened all parts (using the correct tightenting sequence per spec) and put all the parts I took off back. Then took for a test drive... it's now very quite and feels like it has more power than w/ the previous exhaust manifold. The total job cost me just under $200 (for the header) and about 6 hours of labor. -If I did this again on a jeep it would take me about 4 hours. (every car/truck has their own set of issues when replacing things, etc..).

anyway, hope this helps. I'd say this is an intermediate level job for someone with a certain amount of comfort and experience fixing/replacing things on their car.
Unread 06-02-2006, 06:15 PM   #11
rusty-rubi

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Borla header Install

Check out my post in this thread "installing borla headers". I give a description of my encounter. I have since put on a V Force muffler and it sounds good a low RPM but at midrange and higher sounds a bit like an import. I think the V Force is about the same as the Flowmaster 40. '98 will be slightly different than a '97.

I have never heard of a successful repair of a header.
rusty-rubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2006, 06:21 PM   #12
Sandbox
2004 WJ 

I bought the one advertised above as well and put it on last Saturday. It wasn't that bad, it just took a little time. It takes a little more time if you forget to plug the Fuel pump relay back in.

Getting the torque wrench in there did require some creativity for some of the bolts though.
"DULCE ET DECORUM EST PRO PATRIA MORI"
Sandbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2006, 07:41 PM   #13
hoosier724
2003 TJ Wrangler 

left corner of this page

Honk if you love Jesus...text while driving if you want to meet him!
hoosier724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2006, 11:42 PM   #14
joedirt88

Quote:
Originally Posted by eR1c
check out that crack!! it went all the way around the exhaust pipe... what a horrible exhaust manifold they gave us!!!

...and the back side

Without the expansion joints....that new one youll be putting will be cracking the same way. Spend your money once.
joedirt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2006, 01:23 AM   #15
KnightFire
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedirt88
Without the expansion joints....that new one youll be putting will be cracking the same way. Spend your money once.
Honest Question:
What are these expansion joints you refer to? I've seen a LOT of different types of headers for a ton of different vehicles, I've never heard of the term 'expansion joints' for a header before.

I checked the site that I'm 'assuming' has these 'expansion joints' (upper left hand corner of the forum) and I didn't find that term anywhere on their site. Please advise...

As a side note:
I've had a Borla header on mine for 4 years now, no problems in to date, except the Y-pipe bolts tend to vibrate loose #!$%@#$%...other than that, I have no complaints, next time I'm under there I plan on getting new hardware and using some serviceable thread lock, that should cure that!
2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport Titanium Metallic 4.7L 4x4
KnightFire is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.