98 TJ Build- Project "Spiderman" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 98 TJ Build- Project "Spiderman"

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 02-21-2009, 01:14 AM   #1
SpydermanTJ

98 TJ Build- Project "Spiderman"

Ok, so I think it's about time for me to start my own build thread!
I bought this TJ in April of 08, with 93K on the odo. Came from the stealership with a 3inch BL, 2inch suspension spacers, and 33inch Mudstars.

Day I bought it:

Nightcrew #162

"i'd want a bottle of 12 year old scotch and a 24 pack of rubbers. i'll go places with a hard-on that most people wont go with a mechanized infantry batallion."
SpydermanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2009, 01:21 AM   #2
SpydermanTJ

Added a few things that were necessary, like a full-size spare:

And a Hi-lift mounted on the hood:

And since the stock stereo was shot, a new Pioneer head unit and speakers:

Also, my first offroad adventure. Did a little crawling, not knowing what the D35 could handle. Thankfully, nothing broke

Nightcrew #162

"i'd want a bottle of 12 year old scotch and a 24 pack of rubbers. i'll go places with a hard-on that most people wont go with a mechanized infantry batallion."
Unread 02-21-2009, 01:24 AM   #3
SpydermanTJ

Also, started in on my DIY upgrades. As you can see in the pictures above, I relocated my mirrors by drilling and tapping the holes in front of the stock location. Also painted my bezels flat black:

And put in some cheapo driving lights to last til I can afford good ones:

Went out one day, found an abandoned car and decided to drag it around a bit. I saw a little hill that I wanted to get the car up onto, so I dragged it over. In the process, I got my jeep high-centered, instead of the car!

Nightcrew #162

Unread 02-21-2009, 01:28 AM   #4
SpydermanTJ

That's about where it is now, with the exception of changing the oil and the rear diff fluid.

Various shots from different offroad trips:

My younger brother trying to get some wood under my tires... wound up having to get pulled out.

An ironic sign we saw on our way out to go offroading. (No, we didn't go through this gate....)

Nightcrew #162

Unread 02-21-2009, 06:41 AM   #5
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Certainly could have done without the last pic. Expect to get your *** chewed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2009, 07:00 AM   #6
Blue97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divinitous View Post
Certainly could have done without the last pic. Expect to get your *** chewed out.
Why? He said he didn't go through the gate. Read the sentence above the pic.

When you ripping out the 3" bl?

[url="http://www.basskilleronline.com/"][b]Basskilleronline.com - Articles[/b][/url]
Blue97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2009, 07:31 AM   #7
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Now it's time to get black wheels to match your spare,ditch the 3" BL and get a set of these Spidey.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2009, 04:37 PM   #8
SpydermanTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue97 View Post

When you ripping out the 3" bl?
As soon as I get the $$$ to buy a real lift... probably going to swap it for a 1inch BL with a 5.5 Rock Krawler X-Factor Longarm lift.

And the rims are going to be matching as soon as I decide which tires I want! any ideas for a good 35" offroad tire? I'll keep the alloys for my allterrains, and then have my offroad tires on the black steelies.
Nightcrew #162

Unread 02-24-2009, 04:39 PM   #9
SpydermanTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divinitous View Post
Notice at the bottom right of the sign the little yellow logo? That says "OHV Funds at work". Right... at work keeping us from using OHV's!
Nightcrew #162

Unread 03-04-2009, 10:49 PM   #10
SpydermanTJ

Some good news today! The phlebotomy (blood-drawing in a hospital) class I was taking this weekend has been canceled due to lack of enrollment. I'll be getting my class dues refunded to me soon... $400!!!

So... CB radio/antenna, custom rocker sliders, and a custom front bumper are going on soon. Yay! And I'm hoping to make the trip out to Ocotillo Wells for the San Diego crew's little get-together. CB is top priority now...
Nightcrew #162

Unread 03-07-2009, 11:20 PM   #11
SpydermanTJ

OK, question for everyone....
I'm looking at getting 35/12.5/R15 BFG KM2s, on Procomp Series 97s (Basically a Cragar Soft 8) and a real lift on this beastie. My question is this: Should I get the 4inch RC lift, or wait and save up for the 6inch X series?? There's about $500 difference, which could get a lot of other cool stuff. I'm also ditching the 3inch BL for a 1inch.

UPDATE: Today and yesterday I washed, claybarred, and waxed the Jeep. I would recommend claybar to everyone! It makes a huge difference in appearance and makes it easier to clean. Also installed a new holder for my Zune MP3 player, and routed the audio cable out of sight in the dash.
Nightcrew #162

Unread 03-07-2009, 11:25 PM   #12
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

get the 6" kit with 4" springs, 5" is more then enough to clear 35s
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2009, 10:51 AM   #13
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Be careful about pulling dead weight with that Dana 35. When you do that, the timebomb starts ticking a LOT faster.

http://www.clavicle3.com

http://www.jeepwest.com
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2009, 10:59 AM   #14
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

get soft 8s instead of the procomps like you said same thing for like half the price, so why waste money?
Unread 03-08-2009, 08:03 PM   #15
SpydermanTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay12 View Post
get soft 8s instead of the procomps like you said same thing for like half the price, so why waste money?
Procomps are $60 a piece, so they're about the same as the Soft 8s, but apparently double the welds so they're stronger.

Went out to the Ortegas today found some okay trails in the Wildomar OHV area. A lot of them were too skinny for the Heep, but I got some cool vids flexing and crawling. I'll post them up tonight
Nightcrew #162

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.