98 tj 4.0 auto won't rev over 1800 and backfires through exhaust - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 98 tj 4.0 auto won't rev over 1800 and backfires through exhaust

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 11-13-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
buddyv32
1998 TJ Wrangler 

98 tj 4.0 auto won't rev over 1800 and backfires through exhaust

I have a 98 tj 4.0 with an auto tranny that I purchased with a blown motor. I replaced it with a used engine I found local, it started up but blew the 11 fuse -pdc coil had a cel for crank ign ref. And wouldn't rev over 1500rpm and backfired through intake. Traced that down and unplug the tcc and doesn't blow anymore. I have replaced the tps, crank sensor, cam sensor, temp sensor and pulled the engine and transmission harness and went over every wire, cleaned and repaired any imperfection. The jeep starts right up, but wont rev over 1800rpm and backfires through the exhaust at 1800. Fuel pressure gauge shows 45psi and it holds after being shut off. All fuses and relays are good. Catalytic converter isn't the issue, it is removed at the moment. I am lost at this point. I have owned 12 jeeps and built many vehicles, but I am stumped. Any suggestions or information would be welcomed and VERY appreciated. Love the forum btw, I have gained tons of knowledge from you all in the past. Thanks.

buddyv32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2014, 10:06 PM   #2
buddyv32
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ipulled the distributor out, it was off a tooth apparently. Jeep runs great but it did blow the tccs fuse again, number 11 pdc coil, if I unplug the tccs it doesn't blow it. Does this indicate a bad solenoid or am I missing something? The wires are all good.
Unread 11-14-2014, 12:33 AM   #3
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Are you sure its fuse 11 in the PDC and not the Fuse Block?...
Unread 11-14-2014, 03:30 AM   #4
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Fuse 11 behind the glove box is labelled PDC Coil. Since it doesn't blow with the TCCS unplugged it does suggest the solenoid being bad.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2014, 04:16 AM   #5
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

And that and the wires can be easily be checked with an ohm meter. The PCM provides the ground for that function...
Unread 11-14-2014, 06:33 PM   #6
buddyv32
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It's fuse 11 in the fuse block under the dash, it's the fuse for pdc coil. It runs fine with the plug unplugged from the solenoid. I've about decided it's a bad solenoid. The jeep runs fine until it warms up then it spits and sputters while driving, while idle it surges just a bit but clears up.. is this an o2 sensor issue? It clears up after 1/4 mile or so but I haven't driven it farther than that in fear of not making it back home! I appreciate all the comments and help!
Unread 11-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #7
buddyv32
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Replaced the upstream o2 sensor, runs like a champ now. No CEL or stuttering. Have driven over 50 miles so far without an issue. Although, I must say it doesn't feel like a jeep without shifting. Thanks for the input and time, I appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.