Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

98 shakes above 45mph

964 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  turbotwin 
#1 ·
:brickwall I have a 98 sport that shakes like one of the rims is about to fall off. the weird thing is it only happens when i put the top down. please help me on this cuz i have no clue, it makes no sense to me at all.

#4 ·
if you went through some mud recently and didnt clean it out completly from the inside of the wheels it can feel just like your tires need 2 b balanced

#6 ·
it was violent shaking, i havent been through any mud lately so i know it wasnt that, i was thinking it might have been the tires, they were not in great shape... i bought new bfg a/t tonight i moved up to 31x 10.5 from 235's gonna see how it goes tomorrow i drove it at 70 tonight and no shaking so im not sure yet

#7 ·
See what your local Boys in the install bay at Jeep have to say about the shaking if you can't figure out. Just make a schedule for them to test drive it on the highway; tell them every detail of what's going on and they'll most likely fully inspect your vehicle for you without a charge, and if they do charge, it will be very minute. Other than that, I had a shaking problem too when my Jeep would go past 50mph. Like everyone's been saying, there were chunks of mud I never cleaned out from my rear wheels. On top of that, one of my Quick Disconnects was loose. But once I pressure washed my wheels and underbody clean, and fixed my Disconnect, there's been NO PROBLEMS.

#8 ·
My 98 had similar issues

My 98 sport shook in the front end sometimes very violently over 40mph when hitting the slightest bump in the road. Had to actually come to a stop it was so bad. It came with 225 michelin ltx's on steel wheels. When I replaced the stock steel wheels with aluminum canyon wheels it got worse. Put 31x10.50 bfg's on the canyons and the shake has yet to come back at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.