98 sahara with dana 35 rear. Which locker kit? Is it a "C" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 98 sahara with dana 35 rear. Which locker kit? Is it a "C"

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 09-04-2003, 01:53 PM   #1
rupert14

98 sahara with dana 35 rear. Which locker kit? Is it a "C"

I have a 98 Sahara with the dana 35 rear axle. I want to order a locker but I don't know if I have the one referred to as the 'C' or not. Any info on whick kit to order would be great. I am looking into a detroit that is on ebay. Is there anywhere out there that has used ones or is that a bad idea.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Bob

rupert14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2003, 02:48 PM   #2
Jim Shanks
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupert14
I have a 98 Sahara with the dana 35 rear axle. I want to order a locker but I don't know if I have the one referred to as the 'C' or not. Any info on whick kit to order would be great. I am looking into a detroit that is on ebay. Is there anywhere out there that has used ones or is that a bad idea.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Bob
Yes it would be a C, that was implemented in '89

HTH,
Jim
Jim Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2003, 03:46 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, you have a Dana 35c. Used Detroit Lockers are hard to find since few people ever need to replace them or ever replace them with anything else. What size tires are you planning on running? Running large tires on a dana 35c with a locker installed is risking a broken axle shaft since a locker doubles the amount of stress an axle shaft will see on the trail (sometimes on the street too).

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2003, 04:08 PM   #4
Owen

I would never lock a D35C unless you are running 32" or less. It will break. Even with 32"s and a locker I would say its a waste of time unless you do a lunchbox locker like a lock rite. Nice and cheap and its more likely to fail than the axle IMO. Lock rites are great for the d30 front also. Personally I would do sellectable and only use it when completely necesary with that rear.

The Good news is I have a complete spare for anyone who breaks theirs. $400 shipped anywhere you want.
Unread 09-04-2003, 07:46 PM   #5
rupert14

lunchbox locker it is

Thanks for the help. I plan on installing a 3-4 inch lift soon and 33 inch tires. I would have put a detroit in the rear but I don't like broken axles. I have seen advertisements for "super axle" kits that go to 35 spline axles and replace just about everything but the housing. Are the axles larger (thus more splines) or are the splines just cut finer? Would a kit like that give my D35 enough strength to lock it up with 33's or do I need to upgrade my axle all together?
Bob
rupert14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2003, 10:54 PM   #6
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

A Super 35 kit from Superior Axle replaces the standard 27 spline Dana 35c axle shafts with significantly larger diameter 30 spline shafts, similar in size and strength to a Dana 44 axle shaft. The kit also includes a special locker (Detroit Locker or ARB Air Locker) to fit the larger diameter 30 spline axle shafts.

That Super 35 kit would give you plenty of strength to run 33" tires and for most trails, 35" tires too.

Unread 09-05-2003, 02:15 AM   #7
TJ Ti

rupert14, I'm sorry for piggy-backing on your thread but I have a related question that may be helpful to you as well.

What type of upgrade is best for the front D30 to run 35s? I now know exactly what to do with the rear 35c. Any suggestions for the D30?

I'm running 35s now and need to ugrade badly. Was going to just regear for now, but have decided to go the whole nine yards.

Thanks
35x12.50 Truxus
SYE and CV shaft
Toys by Troy sport cage
Warn rear bumper w/ tire carrier
Tombraider 2 Front bumper (Hanson)
Tuffy Center Console
Kenwood CD, JL Audio subs and amp
Sirius satellite radio
[COLOR=red]Red Jeep Club Member #64[/COLOR]
TJ Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2003, 09:00 AM   #8
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The D30 will actually do pretty well with 35" tires, within reason. However, a D30 can bust if the trail is tough enough. I busted a D30 axleshaft a few months ago on a tough trail but it was basically because I did something pretty stupid, starting a crawl up over a rock with the steering hard over against the turn lock. We had been stopped for 10-15 minutes and I had forgotten my steering wheel was all the way to the left when I shut the engine off. The u-joints and axle shaft ears that hold them in place are under a lot of stress when the front wheels are turned to the side and if they're going to bust, that's normally the time.

Two good easily installed upgrades... a Superior Axle inner axle shaft and an outer axle shaft stub is a very good upgrade, the axles are much stronger 4340 Chromolly heat treated steel. They hang onto the u-joints better too which will help keep the them from failing.

Another option, which is what I installed, is Warn's inner axle shafts and a manual hub conversion kit which includes an outer axle shaft stub. The axle shafts are like the above Superior Axle shafts in terms of what they're made from and how strong they are but the hubs are manual, so they can be unlocked. Being able to unlock the hubs is REAL nice for a number of reasons... like if you bust something, you can unlock the hub and free-wheel home without problem. Or you can run a trail that demands low-speed for control in 4Low, but without the front hubs locked, it'd be like you're in 2Lo... a sweet way to run some trails.

Last edited by Jerry Bransford; 09-05-2003 at 10:26 AM..
Unread 09-05-2003, 09:55 AM   #9
TJ Ti

Thanks.....again.......for the info Jerry. I think I will try to do the super 35 while I am home on leave this time and doing the gears as well.
35x12.50 Truxus
SYE and CV shaft
Toys by Troy sport cage
Warn rear bumper w/ tire carrier
Tombraider 2 Front bumper (Hanson)
Tuffy Center Console
Kenwood CD, JL Audio subs and amp
Sirius satellite radio
[COLOR=red]Red Jeep Club Member #64[/COLOR]
TJ Ti is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.