98 Gauges Died/Come back on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 98 Gauges Died/Come back on

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 02-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
RottieTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

98 Gauges Died/Come back on

I just bought a 98 TJ. Driving it home, hit a big bump, airbag light came on, went off again. Second time driving on highway, hit a big bump again, all gauges died, airbag light is on. The odometer is ON, but doesn't move. Turned Jeep off, back on, it worked again. Left my friends, worked for a couple miles, airbag on/gauges went off, then came back on 20 minutes later. No bumps involved this time. All gauges, gas, tach, speedo, etc. all off. Lights, stereo, other electrical seem fine (thank god) when this happens.

I just got this a week ago, maxed out my bank account, but gauges are kinda useful. And I'm a girl, so someone help me figure out where to look. I'd like to drive it instead of having it look good in my driveway.

RottieTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Here is the usual fix for that problem. http://www.billhughes.com/mirror/gauges.htm No guarantees but I did essentially what is in that link to my '97 when it was still fairly new and developed that problem and it fixed it permanently.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Didnt read Jerry's link but Im sure its good advice,

Its most likely the connection on the back of the gauge cluster needing to be cleaned and lathered in dielctric grease. You can pull the dash apart in 15 minutes and the whol guage cluster unplugs easily. Clean the contact terminals and dab a little dielectric grease on there and I highly doubt you will have an issue again. There should be write ups for this out there.

If you cant figure out how to get the cluster out, post back up Ill take some pictures.
ytowntj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Here is the usual fix for that problem. http://www.billhughes.com/mirror/gauges.htm No guarantees but I did essentially what is in that link to my '97 when it was still fairly new and developed that problem and it fixed it permanently.
X 2.It worked on my 98'.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
Barcus
1998 TJ Wrangler 

my gauges died on the way to work one day. turns out it was a blown fuse under the hood. one of the smaller ones. sorry i cant remember which one.
Unread 02-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I spent two years slapping my dashboard to get them to come back on until one day I finally popped the console, added dielectric grease and re-installed. Three years later, it has never happened again.

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-magnum-tj-project-whoops-my-stroker-wiped-its-cam-bearings-1516649/[/url]
doublins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
yv4me
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I used Plastic Safe spray contact cleaner and the small tube of Dielectric Grease from Autozone. No more problems so far. I didn't bend the contacts, but if it happens again, it would be quick and easy to re-do.
Unread 02-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #8
motobob
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Dont complain about this problem. It is a good problem. It keeps the mileage down on your odometer and keeps the re-sale value good. Whenever you think you need to know your fuel level just slap dash above the gauges and they will come back on.

I am just kidding. My story is very similar to this. I was very disappointed when I bought my Jeep and before I got it home the gauges werent working. I think it is why I am a member on this forum. Trying to figure out how to get my gauges working again was my first thing in a long list of issues I have had with my Jeep. Just slap the dash.
98 jeep wrangler sport, 4' Fabtech lift, Skyjacker tummy tuck, Curried upper control arms(lengthened), Dana 30 with ARB and 4.88's, Rubi 44 with 4.88's, Rokmen corner guards, Tera Low transfer case kit, SYE, Much more......
motobob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
Cesaros
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ive slapped my dash for a while...I dont need to slap it anymore because it stopped happening...guess it just worked itself out lol
Cesaros is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #10
RottieTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well, i took it apart today and I will see what happens. It only happens on the freeway, for some reason it worked fine in town. Thanks for the help!
RottieTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
electrical issue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.