97 Wrangler (New to me) needing TLC, overheat, heater core, brakes. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-21-2017, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Gstumpe
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
97 Wrangler (New to me) needing TLC, overheat, heater core, brakes.

Hello all!
So new to try "thread starter posting" and just spent several days browsing the forum with its infinite info. I'm sure somewhere I would find all the answers I need but in the interest of focusing on my own project (and using my post counts) I felt I would start my own and have my Q&A's all in on place.

What I know about my new wrangler is this:
1997 wrangler originally 2.5L and then converted to a 4.0L out of a 98 Cherokee with an AX-15.

After I bought it, driving it home, it overheated. Did some cooling stops but eventually rented a dolly and towed it the last 100 miles.
I found the cooling system totally contaminated with rust and sludge and the thermostat was, well, Non existant. No doubt the seller had issues that he did not represent.
I flushed the entire system several times until clear water came out of the radiator engine and heater core all individually
I filled it with water and flushing fluid and drove about 45 miles and all was well. Flushed the whole system again and ran at idle for about 10 minutes and it overheated again.
Frustrated I decided that I was going to change most of the components out and hopefully this should fix it. This thread really showed me how important individual components that are merely taken for granted and "burping process" can be. I think I have probably a combination of all.
I'm in the process of changing radiator, shroud, fan, thermostat, water pump and hoses. It was just that neglected that it's the right thing to do. Hopefully that will fix me up.
I have a question (and not wanting to steal this thread) I hope someone can chip in on. Due to the engine swap, the OEM shroud will not fit even if I move the fan from the right side of the engine to the water pump, the alignment does not match up (yes it was running without a shroud before with the fan only covering 70 of the radiator!!!).
Question is I'm going with a 2 core aluminium radiator and shroud with built in electric fan 1300 cfm. Do you see any major issues with this setup? Just don't think I have a choice.

As I worked on it I also noticed the brake reservoir was empty so I filled it up ( I did check it before I bought it and it was full. Tested the brakes and blew the left rear line (not hose).

Did change the oil as it was nasty. I know realize that this car has had little to no routine maintenance. Why I didn't catch that before hand is a whole other story but not for this forum, the car is mine now and it's all good, I'll get it back to life soon.

The way I want to approach the problems in this thread is one step at the time:
1. Get it running
2. Fix the brakes
3. Fix heater core
4. And so on.....

So step one, get it running. As you see above, with the overheat problem, I am giving the car cooling system a fresh start with all new components.I'll report on the outcome when I get it all back together (waiting on parts) probably next week some time.

Questions:
1. In order not to risk contaminating the new components, I was thinking of simply bypassing the heater core with a new hose from the water pump outlet to the engine return. Any thoughts on how best to do this? We are still in the upper 80's here so don't need the heat.

2. Any thoughts or suggestions on the electric fan setup? As explained above OEM shroud willl not fit on this setup.

Thanks all.

img_0030.jpg

img_0031.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-21-2017, 11:35 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Can you install a 97 4.0L TJ water pump on the engine?...
post #3 of 12 Old 09-22-2017, 07:27 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I would try to find some configuration of mechanical fan and shroud that will fit. Electric fans don't move as much air.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.

post #4 of 12 Old 09-22-2017, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Gstumpe
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Sorry, I'm learning how this forum works. In response to "notURmailman".

I'm not 100 sure but because I see that the alignment of the engine and transmission does match what a factory 4.0L would be, I feel the OEM parts are just not going to fit. Plan B might be just that but with a custom made shroud.
I realize that electric fans just don't put the CFM's the machanichal ones do, on the other hand I read mechanical fans also rob horse power thus increasing heat.
At the end of the day I will find out, I got an electrical setup coming and if it does not work I'll go back to mechanical and jus have to learn to make a shroud out of aluminium, it think that should not be too difficult.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited by Gstumpe; 09-22-2017 at 09:37 AM.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-22-2017, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Gstumpe
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Can you install a 97 4.0L TJ water pump on the engine?...
e

Ok I have to look into this, didn't think about a 97 and 98 4.0L water pump being different.
The fan on the engine I have is mounted on the right side just under the AC compressor and covered only 70% of the radiator and no shroud so it was useless. I'm sure I can move the fan clutch to the water pump but would still have to make a custom shroud.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-22-2017, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Gstumpe
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
This might help visualizing the setup as I got it.

img_0037.jpg

img_0036.jpg

img_0035.jpg
post #7 of 12 Old 09-22-2017, 10:52 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

That looks like it was from one of the XJs that had the small mechanical fan combined with an electric fan.
Perhaps you could source the shroud and electric OE fan for the XJ.
I don't know about XJs for sure, but my MJ had an aluminum piece that went inline with the lower hose. (Had to buy a hose and cut the appropriate section out for it) that had a threaded hole for a temp probe that was the fan actuator. (Actuate a relay for the fan, not the fan directly).
That may be a solution...

EDIT: this isn't the Comanche part, but it will give you an idea what I mean:

And this is an image of a Grand Cherokee system, but some 4.0 XJs were similar:

-
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-23-2017, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Gstumpe
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
That looks like it was from one of the XJs that had the small mechanical fan combined with an electric fan.
Perhaps you could source the shroud and electric OE fan for the XJ.
I don't know about XJs for sure, but my MJ had an aluminum piece that went inline with the lower hose. (Had to buy a hose and cut the appropriate section out for it) that had a threaded hole for a temp probe that was the fan actuator. (Actuate a relay for the fan, not the fan directly).
That may be a solution...

EDIT: this isn't the Comanche part, but it will give you an idea what I mean:

And this is an image of a Grand Cherokee system, but some 4.0 XJs were similar:

Good easy solution for the fan temp sensor.
The diagram is exactly the setup my engine came from thanks.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-23-2017, 08:27 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

In pictures 1 and 2 it looks like some of the fan blades are damaged?...
post #10 of 12 Old 10-09-2017, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Gstumpe
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Sorry guys for the inactivity, I have been out of town for awhile.
So to update, I installed a new radiator, water pump thermostat, hoses and for now I bypassed the heater core as I haven't had a chance to pull the dash out.
I installed an electric low profile fan and shroud. For testing purpose I hot wired the fan as the radiator did not have a temp sensor port, looks like "NotURMailman's" solution is the way I will have to go.
The testing went well I think, temps came up to the "2" of "210" on the gauge in about 5 minutes and stayed there for 30 minutes of idling. (Couldn't go for a test ride as I also replaced all the brake lines and haven't bleed the system yet). I checked temps around the engine with a meter and found them ranging from 160 on the block and 190 to 200 on the heads, I assume that's were I want it to be.
I got to hook up the relay for the fan motor and I noticed the relay box is already wired for one. I'm hoping I can use that slot but I can't see we're the wires go to. Anybody knows what I should be looking for and where? I can mount it externally but then I would have to find a power source for the relay that is tied to the ignition switch, I guess I could jumper it from the relay box.
Any thoughts or recommendations?
Thanks.
post #11 of 12 Old 10-13-2017, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Gstumpe
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
So I finally got it inspected and passed, not without trouble though, The check engine light was on and the code showed bot O2 sensors not sending data, that's when I realized the catalytic converter was missing in action, somebody removed it at some point, so that sat me back another $700+.
So so far all new components in the cooling system, new brake lines all around, oil change, removed and repainted all the bumpers and a bunch of small repairs to door lock, wipers etc.
But she is on the road again, Yeah!

img_0110.jpg

img_0111.jpg

img_0112.jpg

This is the way I went on the cooling system, aluminium radiator, electric fan. For now the fan is turned on by a switch and the relay is only powered when the ignition is on so I can't forget the fan. I am going to eventually put the temp sensor inline with the lower radiator hose as suggested earlier in this thread.
Had to change the PS pulley as it was a 5 grove not a 6 grove, you can see on the pics how the old one was riding the chine. For now, you also see the heater core bypassed.

Now the next big job is removing the dash to change the heater core, that could get interesting Anyone has some pointers on thi job?
post #12 of 12 Old 10-13-2017, 01:31 PM
5280Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hey bud!
Just did the heater core on my sons 2000 Wrangler..this job isn?t so much hard as it is tedious! Lots of little tiny screws..everywhere. Watched a couple very informative vids on YouTube, we just followed them step by step. Biggest PITA was removing the nuts in the engine bay..2 right behind the rear of the engine...hard to get too. If your jeep is the same set up, there is a plastic piece that connects to the cowel, catches water and drains down behind the engine, you need to remove one nut, slide it out of the way to expose the other nut behind it. This and removing the ac lines were the most difficult to do. Depending if your jeep has passenger air bag, this was a pain also. Mine was riveted in, so I had to drill out those to remove the air bag cover.. you can not remove the dash with out doing this..at least on mine.
Before working on the dash, remove the negative on the battery, then fuses to air bags, then unplug connections for the air bag, this may seem overkill, but for some reason I didn?t want that airbag going off with my face 6 inches away from it! Remember where all connections go back to..take pics if needed. Make sure you put the grounds back where they came off and make sure it?s tight. We didn?t remove the steering wheel..some say it made things easier..we were able to work around it. You may have to remove your center console as well. We removed both seats, made R&R much easier. The heater box once out also has quite a few screws holding it together. You?ll have to peel off the foam insulation around the heater core and the fan. Go to the craft store and get some 1inch thick foam to replace. Heater core is simple, remove the old, drop in the new. While in there, we cleaned up the ac core, cleaned out the entire box, lubed up the doors & the fan. We also installed a new actuator.
Upon install, two people will be needed..lining up the bolts that go through the fire wall can be fun..once that?s done, you?ll need an extra set of hands to put the nuts on to hold in place. Then just start putting things back together. We used dielectric grease on all connections..not a must, but figured it was a good idea since we were in there.
If ya have any questions, let me know..I?ll try to help.

LOT’s of goodies here

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.