97 wrangler with manual steering, need donor info for power steering. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 97 wrangler with manual steering, need donor info for power steering.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesJeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 01-11-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
anarchyfor2
1985 CJ7 

97 wrangler with manual steering, need donor info for power steering.

hey all, i recently started purchased my tj and noticed i was having a leak from my steering box, so i was gonna replace it . well once i got under my jeep, i noticed that i had manual steering in my 97. me, and several other jeepers were unaware that this was an option. IT IS!!! my question, is anyone aware of another vehicle that i could pull the pump, res. gearbox and bracket off of to go in mine, i know i can use a durango gearbox but what else can i use. my jeep has the 2.5l and my local yard couldnt get me any info. im gonna hit the yards tomorrow, so hopefully i can get this started.

Unread 01-11-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

a TJ with PS?
Unread 01-11-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
anarchyfor2
1985 CJ7 

yeah, i guess thats the obvious answer but i havent found a tj at a yard within 300 miles of my house
Unread 01-11-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

i have a PS pump from my 99 with 2.5, should bolt right up make an offer

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2009, 07:55 PM   #5
RLD831
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If your Jeep did not come with PS stock, then it probably doesn't have the clip to hold the reservoir. I used a PS pump out of a 6cyl TJ in my 4cyl. It is the exact same pump and bolts right up, but the reservoir is built into the pump.
Unread 01-11-2009, 09:32 PM   #6
anarchyfor2
1985 CJ7 

give me a ball park that you need for it, i have no idea, another question, the yards in my area have a blue ton of zj and wj , any chance i can get part from them?

RnEmOvr- pm me and we can work something out. after the pump, i would only need the steering box correct and i guess a belt also correct?
Unread 01-11-2009, 09:36 PM   #7
jcssurf
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Oh my god. I can't imagine turning 33x12.50's with manual steering. I've driven a CJ and Landcruiser with manual steering and 33x12.50's. They both had huge solid steering wheels, and it still sucked.

The Unlimiteds shall inherit the earth.
jcssurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2009, 07:12 AM   #8
anarchyfor2
1985 CJ7 

ts really not tthat bad, but i figure i have to replace the box, might as well make the upgrade

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.